finding comfort during depression and covid

Posted , 4 users are following.

its been really tough living NY during like Im sure anywhere else. But everything has changed cause of it, the things I used to do pre-covid changed everything and I dont see my friends anymore. Also Im not the type to call or facetime. I like to text. Im seeing a shrink but its tough cause I have nothing going on in my life.

I want to try and make new friends but its hard. Especially realizing Im depressed and not working anymore. Ive joined some forums online but question if others have good intentions like I do.

Any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

sorry you are going through this. Millions of people are feeling the same way. We as humans need social interaction for our mental health. There are five main areas that are very important to maintain and that would be social, emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual. Those put together make a whole person. . we have to nurture those areas otherwise it can possibly lead to depression, poor health, etc. you say you like to text but that’s not really social interaction. At least if you FaceTime you could actually see somebody and have a normal conversation. It’s the next best thing to being in person. You could also play some games over zoom with people that you can see .are you getting any exercise? Very important. eating healthy? Staying hydrated?take extra vitamins and vitamin D, C, zinc, vitamin B12 all very important for a healthy immune system!

maybe there’s some hobby you can do at home. Think of some ideas that would keep you busy.

Keep in mind that this is just a short snippet in time of your entire life. It will pass in one way or another and you’ll be able to see friends again. Sometimes it feels like our situation is forever but nothing is forever. Hang in there and keep seeing the doctor. we are all in the same boat but we are survivors! Just take one day at a time.

• Edited

Thanks, it does sound better like how you put it. I had a job where I had to do a lot of multi-tasking and now to have no one who would dependent on me feels very strange. I have tried drinking more water and exercise is difficult cause of my constant thoughts. But I could clean and organize my room. I also thought to get a pet to find some comfort. I've been Journaling too and trying to tell myself don't go crazy, I tend to over do things and while my intentions are good it comes off wrong. Like yesterday I went for massage and I actually told the guy at the counter I have depression, jus a stupid slip of the tongue.

I was so embarrassed. But now looking back today I realize I'm life who cares its in the past. Something I need to start doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.