Finding Doctor who will prescribe Suboxone

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband wants to take Suboxone ... he is trying sooooo hard to get away from heroine , and wants to be a normal productive citizen again.

The drug program people where we live don't want to prescribe it for some reason, even though we know it can't be abused ..because of the naloxone that is added to it. He is on the methadone program and they want him to just slowly get off that and then be taking nothing.. but psychologically he isn't able to do that .... Does anyone know where we could find a doctor in Wales to prescribe Suboxone, so we can have our lives back.. Please.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Actually Suboxone can be abused very easily smile
  • Posted

Buprenorphine (Subutex/Suboxone) has been a miracle for me. I have minimal side-effects (mostly constipation and sometimes I get anxious, but that may just be me) and have managed to get my business and personal life back on track.

I understand that it is a strong equivalent to the morphine products but by itself, it cannot be overdosed (at least, I've found nothing on the internet except when used in conjunction with other drugs like benzos) and it has an amazing ceiling action. Over a certain dose it just doesn't get any stronger in effect and sometimes even appears to go the other way, having less effect when using over about 24-32 mg. Of course it can be abused but these two other factors should make this product almost a mandatory replacement for the liquid handcuffs that is methadone wherever it can be used as such.

It does not make me feel intoxicated or drowsy (at least not any more, at first it was similar to all other opiates but that wore off in under a week), it is easily carried (I travel internationally) and I take my drug much like a diabetic would take insulin.

I do intend to come off slowly but have serious issues with depression (I started taking drugs off-prescription originally as self medication for the same) and do worry about the emotional crash, even when reducing quite slowly.

I am now investigating ibogaine which seems like a perfect parter to detoxing off lower dose opiates. I am quite suspicious of the reasons ibogaine is not available through standard medicine, some people think that a single dose detoxing medication with psychadelic side-effects is just not politically or economically correct. However it seems to be almost the perfect solution for me and I am investigating ways of getting ibogaine outside the medical world. This substance appears to be potentially more dangerous than buprenorphine, so like abortions before legality, I may have to take the risk in order to complete my recovery. Ridiculous.

• Posted

HI,

first things first, you and your husband are both so brave to be able to talk about this. and i have a lot of respect for your husband for seeking help. a lot of people with be nasty and horrible about this. but i just want to say that as long as you have eachother and hold your heads up high, that should be enough for everyone else. the fact that he's willing to ask for help...that says a lot about him. right now, i am suffering from an addiction. not to herione and i dont want to say what it is. i have been addicted since i was 16 years old. im 22 this year. so roughly 6 years. for a long time, i was in denial. until last year, november when i finaly came clean to my husband who i'd managed to hide it from for over 2 years. now i'm seeking help and with his help and the help of my friends and family, i've managed to wean myself from a large ammount to a small ammount. it's still hell and a lot of time i can't go a day without. i do tend to slip up every so often. i have only just found out about subutex and im not sure if my doc can prescribe this for me, but as best advice i can give, give them a call. that's what i plan to do and when i do, and i find out what places do it i'll be sure to let you know.

warm regards, and seriously, congrats to your man for doing this and changeing his life!!

T xxx

• Posted

Suorised they aren't willing to switch him from methadone to suboxone. As this was a year ago I hope it's been all sorted! Best of luck and you're an amazing woman for sticking by your husband. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.