Finger nail splitting and hypothyroidism

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello,  I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years.  Years ago I started to notice a problem with my left thumb which would keep splitting vertically.

Over the years it has spread to about 5 of my fingers at different times.  I have to keep nails shorter than I would like like but they still split.  Just be chance the other day I read online that vertical splitting is caused by under active thyroid.  Anyone have this same problem and have you found a solution.  Thanks.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Libralady13

I have not noticed any splitting but I have quite ridged nails on my fingers.

I also have an underactive thyroid so it could be due to that.

Hope you find an answer

kind regards

• Posted

Thanks for yur reply.  I have ridged lines in my nails but I have had them since I can remember but they have got worse as I have got older (now66).  Perhaps it is called to connected to the thyroid.

All the best to you.

• Posted

Hi, cracked skin on finger ends is due to dry skin, which is a classic symptom of an underactive thyroid. There is a really good You Tube video by Derm TV - How to Heal Cracked Fingertips: it is American so the prducts are slightly different. (Type DermTV.comEpi#125 in the You Tube search bar). Basically, if you get the cracks early enough, apply 'spray plaster' by Elastoplast, until it heals. If you don't get it early, apply vaseline and cover it with a plaster. I started using Norwegan Formula concentrated hand cream a couple of years ago and I haven't had any since. I don't know where you live, but if you have a Home Bargain shop, they sell it cheaper than Boots or Superdrug. Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi, Thanks for your reply.  It is not the finger tips but the actual nails.  I will thought try the norwegian formula.  I do know of Home Bargain shops although we don't have them in my area my daughter does in Greater Manchester so I could ask her.  Thanks again.
  • Posted

My nails are awful, crumbly, soft, splitting and breaking. Nothing has worked. Glad my post helped.
  • Posted

I used to have problem fingernails too, when I was younger.  I found that if I drank unflavored geletain powder mixed in juice it did wonders for my fingernails, in fact, too much so.  My fingernails became very strong but I had to stop the geletain as if I hit them wrong against something, they would actually snap off.  Then I went to typing/word processing to earn a living switching from typewriters to computers, I found that long fingernails were actually a hinderance.  So I keep my middle 3 fingers with short nails and content myself with longer thumb and little finger nails.  I've alway had nice looking hands and even at age 71 am vain about how my hands and nails look.  Oh yes, no polish. I do use a hand cream high in glycerine. Since I don't wear polish, I can rub the cream right into the nails.  As to your nail ridges, it depends on which direction they go.  Usully vertical ridges are normal as we age (I get tired of how often I hear doctors use the term..."as we age"...) because of lack of moisture.  Also, nails need to breathe and polish stops their ability to do that.  I am only speaking from my own experience.  When I stopped using polish, started massaging cream into them, the ridges went away.  Also, pay special attention to moisturising the cutical. There are a other causes, but aging is the most common. If they are horrizontal across the nail, that could be a signal of health issues, either current or in the past. If you are really concerned that it could be health reasons, you should see a good dermatologist.  
    • Posted

Thank you Cookie,  The ridges are vertical I have always had them but they have got worse as I got older.  I don't use nail polish although I do miss it.  I remember when I was a teenager eating a cube of jelly everyday for nails.  My nails do grow ok it is just this vertical splitting that drives me mad.  I will start moisturing them more.  Thanks for the tips
    • Posted

Hi Libralady13, I have exactly the same problem.  I have spent MANY years looking for a cure or solution.  And I find nothing.  When I came accross your post, I was happy, thought there might be a solution.  But it seems nothing yet.  My problem also started with my left thumb and now 5 fingers are already affected.  I am a 39 year old female and DESPERATE for a cure.  As of today I started moisturising my nails with jojoba and olive and Vitamin E oils, every few hours... Will see how it goes, but nothing, absolutely nothing has helped so far.  I'm praying for a solution.  If I get one, I'll let you know.  Take care & God bless.  Ruth

• Posted

Hello  I know exactly how you feel.  I suppose in the great scheme of things it is not that big a deal but it is frustrating and as you say nothing really seems to help.  I just keep mine short now but they still split.  They are ridged as well so don't look very attractive.  I used to love to wear nail polish and when I was in my teens and early 20's wore it all the time my nails were nice then.  It is obviously something to do with lack of moisure making them split.  I was told it is definitely a side effect of being hypothyroid but even though I have been on thyroxine for nearly 25 years they have just got worse.  Do let me know if the oils you are using makes any difference.  Carol

• Posted

Hi liberally13' I started taking omega 3 capsules and they seem to be working as my nails are quite strong and growing. Hope that helps good luck.
    • Posted

Hi I used to take omega 3 but never thought it helped my nails still everyone is different.  I was recommended norwegian formula concentrated hand cream by another member and having started using it.  They are still splitting but they look at bit better so will carry on for a while.

• Posted

Hi there - yes finger nail problems are very common in hypothyroidism recognised by the vertical ridges. Mine wont grow much without breaking off. If you have taken levothyroxine for a long time it may not be as effective. The endocrine system is a very complicated one - and not so easily treated as we are led to believe
    • Posted

Hi  Yes I have vertical ridges although I have had them since I was young there were not very noticeable then but have got worse over the years.

I have had hypothyroidism for over 20 years so probably a combination of thyroid and ageing.  Yes the endocrine system is complicated and I know all about problems patients have with getting diagnosed and getting the right treatment.  I think most people think just take a tablet and then everything is fine but it is not always so.

• Posted

Its easy to be fobbed off with 'Its just your age' too. If only they would treat your symptoms and not your blood test results rolleyes I even had a GP swing the computer screen round to me to show my test results (while I felt absolutely dreadful) and said 'Look!! Theres nothing wrong with you!!!
  • Posted

Hi not sure if you sorted your nail splitting I also get this and have been informed it is a symptom of vitamin D deficiency, which I have.
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, Yes I take Vitamin D3.  It was discovered I was low in this vitamin after I broke my wrist, they also diagnosed osteopenia. I was put on vitamin D3 2200 i.u. now reduced to half.  I have arthritis and the consultant also said I should take it.  I also have an underactive thyroid (on medication for well over 20 years) which can affect nails.

My nails are still the same though.  The vertical ridges have always been there but have got worse as I got older.  Half of my finger nails spilt vertically so always have to have them very short so can't really work nail polish which I always liked to do.  I think it might be something to do with them being dry.  This might be a side effect of the menopause although I am years past that at 67.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.