Fingers still numb 2 weeks after Carpal Tunnel

Posted , 16 users are following.

Today is 2 weeks post op for carpal tunnel in my left hand.  The tips of my thumb, index, middle and inside of ring finger are still completely numb...the same as before surgery.  At my 1 week follow up, the surgeon said it can often take time for sensation to return and not to worry right now. He said the stories of those who have immediate recovery of sensation are actually only a small percentage of patients (around 15%).  Otherwise, the incision healing is going fine.  Any experiences to share?  Feeling frustrated that I did this surgery and have no noticeable improvement.   

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI

I have a question, I am curious to see  how your numb fingers are doing. Have they gotten better and are you still in pain? I had Endoscopic on 9/28 and immediately after my thumb and index finger were numb with a burning sensation. This is way worse than I had before surgery. He sent me to a nerve conduction test which I didn't really understand all of it. A week later, he did another surgery , this one the Open Carpal so that he can make sure everything was ok, Which it was, but  now not only am I recovering from my hand being sliced open, but the two fingers are still numb, hurt and burn. There was no change. My question is please tell me it is getting better or some hope? PLease

• Posted

I had my carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand last Nov.27,2017 and Its been 2 weeks now still swollen and the numbness ang tingling feeling at the tip of my fingers are still there. And Im about to have my dominant hand to have surgery on January2018 but Im already having a 2nd thought If I have to go to this kind if ordeal and turns out to be the same as my left hand. Pls help me decide.
    • Posted

If you're having second thoughts about having surgery done on your dominant hand, don't do it..I just had my surgery on the 9th of January, stitches were removed three days after surgery and I have the shooting burning pain in my palm and absolutely

no feeling in my ring and middle finger..the top half of my index finger is completely numb also..I go in next week to have a nerve study done on my other hand, completely numb middle and ring finger on that hand also..find out your options before jumping into another surgery

• Posted

I'm surprised you had your stitches out so soon. For my left hand I waited 12 days and for my right hand it was 15 days.

My right had was done on 6th November and I still have the tops of my fingers numb and feeling of coarse sand between my fingers. The doctors think this can be normal up to 6 months!!

• Posted

I had carpal tunnel surgery 1 week ago.( both hands at once) am still numb in three fingers mine was severe in right and have atrophy in muscle in thumb left not as numb..but hope this will change..my question is..after this can you regain muscle in hand?
  • Posted

I had carpal tunnel release surgery early in April (2018).  Post op I had numbness in my thumb, index finger and middle finger for about three days, this faded with one exception mentioned further on. I have followed all of the advice post op and wound healing well, I have full mobility of hand and fingers, only slight discomfort at incision site.

My concern is that the top part of my thumb (base feels normal) has a tingling sensation to touch and some numbness, although it can feel extremes of hot and cold but touching objects feel somewhat vague, securing shirt buttons more difficult.  Generally the worst symptoms of CTS have been relieved but now seem to emanate from the thumb tip and radiate up toward he wrist.

Will these sensations disappear over time, or has something gone wrong during surgery?  The surgeon did say that the median nerve was quite compressed.  I did not have a nerve conduction study pre op and my follow up appointment with the surgeon is three weeks away.

• Posted

Eric, I'm 10 weeks post op for bilateral carpal tunnel surgery.  My right hand is still swollen, tips of my middle, ring and little fingers are numb.  Am receiving physical therapy twice a week and doctor says it just takes longer for some patients to recover.  Left hand is great and has been since bandages were removed.   Hang in, recovery will happen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.