Finished PT (no surgery) but still hurts

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 62 year old active male. An MRI earlier this year showed a torn labrum and bone spur in my left shoulder. It had become very difficult to use but rather than have surgery the doctor wanted to try PT which I consider a success as to the regained movement. 

However I still have pain in my shoulder that I can only guess is the bone spur. Unbearable? No  Painful?  Yes at different times during the day and when trying to sleep. 

I don't know if I should even make another appointment with the doc. He may shoo me away and tell me it's not worth the trouble. But at the same time I do t want it to worsen and still face surgery 3-4 years from now. 

Any advice?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks post surgery.  68 year old male.  Major tendon tears.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Painful, tedious recuperation.   But I'm thinking if you only needed a bone spur fixed, the recoop time might not be as bad or long as letting tendons heal.  Not sure, but wouldnt hurt to ask.  Good luck and God bless.  

• Posted

I have domilar problem and am being referred to a consultant. My Dr said I could have keyhole surgery to repair tears and have bone spur filed down. Which I find preferable to major surgery.
  • Posted

What's the latest on your dilemma??  Have you done any online research?  Peace of mind?  John Hopkins link might be helpful... GOOD LUCK!!! http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/adult/orthopaedic_disorders/shoulder_labrum_tear_22,ShoulderLabrumTear/

• Posted

I've got an appointment next week with my regular doc. It's just a routine checkup but since I still am having issues I'm going to discuss it with him Some nights it wakes me up and I go into another room so as to not wake my wife and put a heating pad on it. That might help a little but it is only temporary 

I'll go to the link you had and see what's out there. Thanks for sending it!

• Posted

Looks like I'll be having surgery but not until December 27. Family schedules, work and other factors just made that the best time to do it. I continue to read and research so mentally at least I know what to expect. 

Ive also started having the same symptoms in my right shoulder. An exact mirror in fact with regards to,pain location and sensation. But one at a time is all I would even think about having done! Meant to see what results I have with the first surgery before even thinking along those lines!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.