First 4 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,ive recently started taking ALENDRONIC acid tablets .I had a hystorectomy at the early age off 22.

im 48 now and to no surprise i have osteoporosis.

My question is it normal to feel so tired ? I feel sick most of the day and my arms feel heavy ,i no that sounds strange ......,any feedback would be appriciated

Thankyou

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

stop taking it right away ,it put me in hospital ,what they dont tell you is ,there is an injection you can have ,once a year ,,it made me want to vomit all the time , , no appetite ,it lowers your blood pressure , and being sick ,you lose essential minerals ,ie potassium /magnesium ,hope this helps,,rachel . geoff

• Posted

also rachel ,change your diet , try oily fish about 3 times a week ,i use almond milk now , , cut out greasy foods ,try a drink called ,kefir , that works

• Posted

Thankyou , do you have a yearly injection ? im in the uk ,will that make a difference ?

• Posted

hi rach , no i havent had the injection , never will after taking those crap alendronic tablets . ,first lot they gave me made feel bad , asked for something different , those made me worse .im taking ,,calceos ,a chewable tablet that has calcium and vit d,plus a full dairy diet , rach watch out for back problems also , hope you get better ,tc for now ,,geoff

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I'm 52 and started taking alendronic acid about a year ago and the first few weeks were hell, I was listless, had shocking nausea, no appetite, very achy bones. now I have no obvious side effects, it took maybe a couple of months. I take magnesium, vit D, calcium, liquid cod liver oil and run several time a week to help it along. Persevere a little if you can bear too. my mums friend didnt take hers in favour of avocdos (bizarre but true) and now her bone issues are shockingly advanced some years on with operations and pinnings on the cards, that frightened me in to keeping going. there seems to be no alternative in the UK yet. good luck

• Posted

I 'only' have osteopenia and was given AA on discharge from hospital for a hip fracture. However, I stopped them after 4 weeks due to side effects. Are you taking calcium and d3? If so I would suggest also adding k2 which helps guide the calcium to the bones. After doing a lot of reading I have also added magnesium glycinate (which doesn't give the 'runs') and boron - also adding prunes as they have a good amount of boron to my live yogurt. I have given my already healthy diet an overhaul to make sure I'm getting the good things every day. If you haven't already have a google search for a good diet for osteoporosis - and, yes, it does include avocados but not just them. Are you on the osteoporosis site here? There's loads of information on it. I'm new here (in the uk) and finding my way around.

• Posted

I get the injection once a year. I have been lucky because the only side effect I get is swollen ankles which is strange as nobody else seems to have this side-effect. It’s great not having to take the weekly medication. I have a very bad T score in my hips and have already broken one hip so dont have much choice. I think the injection is more expensive so you have to come up with a convincing reason for why you should get it. You would need to speak to your doctor. I have MS so have difficulty swallowing which meant i got it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.