First 6 month checkup November 18

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

My husband had his first MRI since his 4.5 cm aortic aneurysm was discovered in May (2016) he will know at that time if it has changed. He also has the bicuspid valve.

His appointment with the cardiac surgeon will be November 18th. He just turned 65. He hasn't had chest pain or any new symptoms. He has been on a statin Med since May. It's scary being that close to that 5.5 cm measurement for surgery.

Surgery is always a risk and he's not getting any younger. Waiting and wondering for six months until the next MRI isn't easy either. But if that is what the Surgeon and Cardiologist assessment is, then that is what we will have to go with. And. Live life with some restrictions. I'll post the outcome of his appointment coming this Friday.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    I too have a 4.5 cm Acending Aorta Anuerysm. Have had it for 2 years now. Weight lost & Blood Pressure are key factors in keeping the Anuerysm stabel. I keep my Blood Pressure at 101/65 and I do walk alot. No lifting of heavy things. I lost about 25 pounds and I gave up all breat & pasta & fast foods. Low fat milk & water is all I drink now. Cardiologist told me my Anuerysm got smaller 6 months ago,that it's 4.0 cm now, don't know what that means when I know they don't get small, the just shrink sum when blood pressure is lowered. Kinda like a bicycle tube when it gets that ball on the side when to much air pressuer is applied to it. Same thing with Blood Pressuer & Aorta Blood Flow. Going for my next MRI next week as a follow up. I live my life, I trust in God and I take care of myself better now.

    Report
    • Posted

      Thankyou for your post. His appointment is tomorrow and I will post his new assessment. I especially like what you said in your last sentence. "I trust in God." Praying for your continued good assessments!

      Report
  • Posted

    The waiting is always the difficult bit. I was diagnosed with a 6cm aneurysm back in April 2015 (I'm 54 btw) so I can understand the stress both of you are feeling quite now. I waited 10 weeks for surgery to remove the ascending aorta and arch and that seemed like a life time. The surgeon and cardiologist will look at the MRI and make an assessment as to how long they can leave it before surgery and if it were me I'd trust in their judgement, although that doesn't help the fact that you're both waiting for that inevitable date.

    Presently I feel fit and well and feel I've made a full recovery. However last week I had a routine MRI scan to discount the possibility of a descending aorta aneurysm. There is no symptoms as far as I'm concerned, but it doesn't stop the niggling doubts until I get the results.

    No easy answers here. No one wants surgery and no one wants the worry of waiting either. I'm sure it will all turn out okay though.

    Best wishes.

    Report
    • Posted

      Thankyou. We are waiting for results of an echocardiogram he had in December. If anything was bad I'm sure they would've called by now. We are taking life day to day and week to week. He's not going to start any running marothon's and just wants to enjoy life as he started retirement on January 1!!

      Report
    • Posted

      Yes. I take Warfarin (as I also have an artificial aortic valve fitted), Losartin, Bisoprolol and Simvastatin.
      Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up