First admission

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been discharged following a 5 day hospital stay my first severe flare up. I was told I had been lucky to avoid surgery. I am on a further 2 week course of antibiotics & waiting an appointment for further tests. I am still experiencing quite a lot of pain & nausea. Just wondered if anyone could advise if this is normal? Thankyou in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Judith

Sorry to hear you have this nasty disease.  Have you been diagnosed with a CT Scan and/or Colonoscopy, or are these lined up for you?  They normally like to do the Colonoscopy after the infection has gone, 6 - 8 weeks.The medications do have side effects, including nausea and bowel problems, so this is normal.  Also the pain can last quite a long time - weeks or even months if you are really unlucky.  This is while the infection and inflammation die down and heal. 

You should have been advised to stick to a liquid only diet, with absolutely no fibre for a few days to a few weeks to give your bowel a rest.  Different countries have different protocols.  Then hopefully when you are starting to feel better you can start to re-introduce soluble fibre.  There are lots of posts on this forum about what to eat.  I personally have clear broth, clear fruit juice, black/herb tea for a few days, then start to introduce things like yogurt, milk, chicken soup, mashed potato, steamed fish.  Then I move onto home made blended soups and well cooked vegetables.  I avoid skins.  Finally I move to a diet high in soluble fibre.

Everyone is different and you have to find out what you can eat and what causes you problems, by trial and error.  My triggers are gluten, wheat and full fat.  For others it can be dairy, red meat, popcorn, nuts, seeds - the list goes on.  I take the soluble fibre Fybogel daily - it is psyllium husk which acts as a stool softener, bulker and mild laxative.  I also take 2 tsp pure aloe vera juice daily - revolting but a natural healer.

Some people suffer from constiptation, others from the runs, and others from both.  But I feel an empty colon is a good colon - less chance of a build up of material which can become infected.  You will find many helpful posts here - some are people in the early stages, and others like me have been dealing with this disease for years.  It does get better but needs patience.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your very informative & helpful reply. I was diagnosed 8 years ago following colonoscopy and to be truthful haven't taken it that seriously thinking my symptoms were more IBS related. How wrong was I. On admission I was given a CT scan which confirmed severe flare up. I suffer constantly from runs & griping pains but these pains were to another level I was struggling to walk. Thank you again for your reply x

• Posted

Hi Judith

I went 6 years between my 1st and 2nd flares, then a further 4 years to the 3rd.  But I have now had 3 flares in the last 9 months and have daily niggles.  I am told my disease is now severe, and it hurts to to bend and lift at times.  So I now have to employ people to do things I used to manage myself.  And I am a LOT more careful about my diet and lifestyle!!!!

• Posted

It is very frightening isn't it. Thought of surgery has been a wake up call .

• Posted

It takes a long time to recover from a severe attack. I was hospitalized in February of this year and just started feeling well last week. Lots if ups and downs but it takes a while to get your intestines back to normal. It's is a very depressing time but have faith you'll be back to normal. It just takes time and watch what you eat for a while. Although the nausea holds you back. Soups have been a saving grace for me and I eat ground meat , very well cooked vegetables and limit salads. Just feeling well enough to eat more lately. It does take time. Prayers for healing.🙏🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.