First Anniversary for LEFT KNEE!!!🙌😁😊🙌

Posted , 17 users are following.

Well folks, it is ONE WHOLE YEAR since I had my Total Knee Replacement on my first knee!

It sure has been QUITE the learning experience!

Since then, my right knee joined the party, and I have had TWO "good knees" since last October.

I must say that for me, the surgeries changed my life. For five years previously I was headed down Pain Road with NO CHANCE of relief unless I jumped on the surgery bandwagon and just went for it.

I am VERY happy that I got on that wagon...TWICE!

Today is not only the first anniversary of LEFT KNEE; it is the 40th wedding anniversary for my husband and me. (Yes, we spent our 39th anniversary last year "celebrating" in the recovery room and hospital room following my TKR!)

TODAY is NO recovery room, NO hospital room, NO IV pole or medication, NO nausea, NO tourniquet "Steak Knife" pain, and NO first standing up after surgery!????????

Today IS breakfast together at Scrambler Marie's, a ride to Erie, Pennsylvania to WALK along the walkway and beaches of Presque Isle, a nice dinner, and seeing Independence Day at the movies. Ahhhh! Looking forward to walking along the beautiful shores of Lake Erie with no KNEE PAIN! ????

Here's to ALL of us in various stages of recovery from the operation that brought us all together here on this forum! ??????????

Wishing us all continued good recovery and many happy pain-free days! ??

6 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cheryl, Congratulations on your successful knee surgeries and your highly successful marriage. Hope the weather in Erie was good and that it wasn't snowing.  I smile saying that because I'm from Harrisburg and have been in Erie so many times when it was snowing. And I did my college internship project at Presque Isle State Park.

• Posted

You are SO RIGHT about Erie's SNOW!???????????????????????????

We live in NE Ohio's snowbelt about a mile from Lake Erie. Erie, PA. gets MUCH MORE snow than WE do! Millcreek Mall had a whole PARKING LOT section for the snow plows last winter, and it wasn't even close to the snow amounts Erie USUALLY gets!

Presque Isle is such a pretty place! I love the way you can turn off to the beaches through the pretty trees on the walkway when you need to get cool in the water!??????????

It is a GREAT place to do an Internship Project!

My husband and I were both born in western PA!

• Posted

Just read your post congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary and knee anniversary hope you had a wonderful day xx
    • Posted

We had a great day! Thank you for your post. The best part was that I hardly thought about my KNEES!🙌🙌 For SO LONG every decision to DO STUFF had to be weighed by whether I could STAND or WALK that long or that far. SO NICE not to have to focus on my KNEES!😁😁

How are YOU doing?

• Posted

I'm doing ok, it is my first week back at work tiring but good to be back now looking forward to my holiday in Portugal in September with 2 good knees x

• Posted

Oh, it will be WONDERFUL!😊

You will be able to enjoy things SO much better without all the pain!

Also, you have a couple months to get feeling even better than you do now.

Happy travel with those NEW KNEES! .🙌🙌

• Posted

I am sure you enjoyed that walk! It's a beautiful feeling. I'm 21 months post op from a bilateral TKR. Some thought I was crazy having both done at the same time, but it worked. I don't know that I struggled any more with both knees than others have with one. I was watching people at a baseball game last night and was struck by those who were so struggling with walking up the steps. It struck me that that used to be me. It's nice remembering the journey and celebrating where we are today, isn't it!

• Posted

Hi there!

Thanks so much for responding! We had house guests all week, so I am just now getting around to getting caught up with all my "KNEE CLUB" friends again!

Our neighbor had both knees done at the same time five years ago. Her doctor travelled around the country doing surgeries and ONLY did both at one time. Phyllis said she was glad to get both done at the same time, and her recovery went well.

I know what you mean about watching others being in pain and walking with much difficulty. Yes, that surely IS something I have seen as well! Somehow we THINK others have no idea what we are going through, but they do! Our walking and moving broadcasts our pain CLEARLY. We just never REALIZE it at the time!

It is GREAT being able to move well once again! I have short legs and, well, AM pretty short compared to my husband, sons, and daughters-in-law who are all taller with VERY long legs! I now can keep up with them (albeit taking many more STEPS!) I once thought I would have to pass on family walking activities due to all my knee pain. It is WONDERFUL being able to keep up with them and not feel like they must walk SO SLOWLY to help me keep up.

It sure IS nice looking back on all the recovery and coming out the other side!

Glad to hear you are doing so well 21 months post op!????????

I have a question for you! How long will our new knees LAST? Oh, and ANOTHER question...Do our new knees wear out faster if we walk MORE?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.