First appt with rhurmatologist what should i expect? Very scared!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

First appt on friday, very anxious dont know what to expect! Or if they say all my symptoms are in my mind!!

I know there not and just want some help! What will they do at thd appointment? Thanks in advance

Pip x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Why are you scared dear Pip? The examination is not painful. The Rheumatologist will examine you and assess the pain areas. Perhaps certain movements in manipulation may cause a bit of pain but not more than what you have already. And your pain is not in your mind Pip. Anxiety and worry make pain worse of course, because you are tensing the muscles without your awareness. Doctors are not gods Pip. YOU know your body and how your feel. Don't doubt your own intelligence or perception. And stop worrying so much. FM is manageable but a great deal has to do with our attitude and acceptance. It is similar to living with arthritis and people who do are able to live a pretty normal life. Many arthritis sufferers have a job and a family to tend to. So don't look at it as a huge obstacle. Everyone today seems to be dealing with some sort of health issue or illness. With all the stresses of life today, it is not surprising that it takes a toll on our bodies. So stop stressing about this my dear. You will be fine. One day at a time. 

• Posted

Thankyou for your kind words, will post how it goes, just one worry after another, hate hospitals but my husband will be there with me, thanks again x
  • Posted

Hi Pip,

One of the things that makes a doctor visit less stressful for me is to take in a list of the things I'm experiencing, otherwise I leave the office realizing I forgot to tell them something.

I was diagnosed over 25 years ago. As Magpie indicated in her comment many people continue to work. I have worked all through those 25 years. You just have to know what type of job you can tolerate and still have a life outside of work. It does take some time to figure all this out. Don't be so hard on yourself.  

Do post what happens at the doctor visit.

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Pip.  I had my first appointment with a rheumatologist last week.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Firstly they really listened to the answers I gave to their questions - something I don't feel happens with my GP, who never has the time to let me fully explain anything and definitely isnt listening most of the time.  I was there at least half an hour rather than the three minutes flat at the GP.  They asked a lot of questions, not just about pain areas but about lifestyle, diet, medication, supplements etc.  She then did some gentle movement tests - really nothing that caused any major discomfort.  They will have a record of any blood test results etc., to hand and will talk through anything that has been flagged up or not.  The thing to remember is that fibro IS technically in the mind.  That is, it's the brain's pain receptors malfunctioning.  No rheumatologist would ever dismiss your symptoms as imaginary but there are sometimes psychological triggers for pain syndromes - eg stress, emotional distress, bereavement, etc., and its important that your personal circumstances are taken into consideration.  They are after all there to help properly diagnose you - you are not an annoyance to them, they really do want to help.

• Posted

Hello Pip,  

I first saw a Rheumatologist about 3 years ago.  I had an appointment slot of an hour and during that time they asked loads of questions just like Loxie said.  I also had blood tests and Xrays and she very gently examined my arthritic joints and trigger spots for Fibro.  

She was very thorough and also arranged for me to have a Dexa Scan as I've had 3 fractures.  I had a return visit after 3 months and she then diagnosed both Rheumatoid and Osteo arthritis and Fibromyalgia.

I see her regularly and have had steroid injections in various joints, which sometimes helps the arthritis, but unfortunately does nothing for the Fibro. 

I appreciate it's difficult not to get too stressed about it, but I'm sure you'll be fine. x  

• Posted

Don't give up, nothing to worry about with the exam.  Yes, over time, you'll get the usual "look like you have lobsters crawling out your ears" and the response that you're not believed, or that you're making it up, but don't give up.  They most likely will do blood work/labs, regular exam (ie, check your breathing, etc, range of motion, etc).  My rheum also ordered x-rays.  Nothing painful involved........

• Posted

Hi Pip,  

just wondering how your appointment was with the Rheumatologist.

• Posted

Im sorry late reply, had a very tearful experience, although the man was very nice, and thorough with the examination! Mentioned MS which scared me!! Have had lots of xrays chest, spine, ankles as all swollen, Mri, and blood tests, has been a busy few days, get results this friday, thinks have odeama around my heart some form of fluid as get awful breathlessness, i honsetly believe if i was a horse they woukd shoot me! Thankyou for asking x
    • Posted

Oh bless you, you  must have been exhausted after all those tests.  

I wonder if some medication is causing side effects, I'm not medically trained so wouldn't dream of commenting on your symptoms, but I made the decision to stop taking hydroxychloroquine as they were making me very breathless and my hands and feet were very puffy.  I was taking them for just over 6 weeks.  

You are in the right hands and hopefully they will get to the bottom of it all. I think it was a bit insensitive at this stage to mention MS, which would have scared the life out of me also. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.