First attack of gall bladder pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I am new to this forum so I hope I am doing this right! I have just had my first attack of what my GP thinks is gallbladder pain (possibly stones). It woke me in the night and was excruciating. I have been referred for an ultrasound scan and have been taking Metronidazole and Amoxicillin for 4 days.  I was prescribed Zapain too.

The awful pain has gone but I have been left with a 'tender' upper abdomen (feels a bit like a pulled muscle) which hurts with certain movements and the original upper right area where I felt the worst of the pain during the attack is still giving me twinges (as if to say 'hey I am still here and could flare up again at any moment!').

Has anyone else had this sort of 'after-pain' and if so, approximately how long might it last.

Thanks

Best wishes, Maz

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I thought I hasd replied to you but the screen says 0 replies so I'll try again here.

Could be IBS but it could also be gallstones.

I would ask Dr to send you for ultrasound scan to check for gallstones.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah.  Thanks for your reply. GP has referred me for ultrasound scan. When she examined me, she thought it was probably gallstones as it was tender when she examined my right side under the ribs.

Will post again after the scan results.

Thanks again,

Maz

• Posted

Hello there, I am due for an ultrasound scan in a couple of weeks for possible gallstones but I am not getting the excruciating pains others talk about and when my GP examined me there was no pain or tender areas where she pressed. My pain (or discomfort should I say) is under my right rib, radiating to the back. Not even sure if it is gallbladder or gallstones, I need this scan to find out what my symptoms are.
    • Posted

Hi Raffaella.

I hopeyour scan goes ok.  I am beginning to see that everyone is

different with how they experience gallbladder problems.  My pain during the worst of the attack was under my ribs too but there was some pain in the centre as well.

Thanks for your reply-good luck with the scan!

• Posted

Oh yes! If you have gallstones you will continue with that pain until you get them out.Your CT scan will shoe stones if they are there. Get that surgery!
    • Posted

Thanks Angela. 

So did you experience this kind of achy pain too? It's bearable but I am just so scared that the really bad pain will come back (I know that's likely to happen if my scan shows gallstones). My GP already said that if I do have stones in there, I will need surgery. Anything rather than go on with this pain and the anxiety that comes with it!

Thanks again for your reply

• Posted

Hi 

it can settle right down and you not have another attack for months . Or if you have an infection or your gallbladder is inflamed it could continue on like this rumbling . 

The excruciating pain is the passing of a stone . The aching soreness is the gallbladder itself being sore and inflamed usually due to the stones rubbing together .. You can avoid attacks by eating low fat ...no fat diet , avoid rich hard to digest foods like red meat avoid caffeine chocolate etc ... This diet can work while waiting for surgery .. 

The gallbladder stores bile concentrates its and contracts/ sqeezes the bile out when requested by the stomach..if you eat fatty food the stomach requests extra bile your gallbladder contracts stones rub together you have a sore ache ..if a stone gets sqeezed into a bile duct ...agony ivy climbing the walls pain vomiting with no relief....for 5 or 6 hours then as quick as it came it goes ...you return to normal terrified  of ever experiencing that agony again ..

removal solves problem ..

• Posted

Hi Sally

Thank you so much for your reply.

I think that perfectly describes the pain(s) I am getting. It also describes how anxious I feel, wondering if/when the pain will return.  Believe me, if I am offered surgery I will go for it.  My GP suggested a v, low fat diet and I have already dow loaded lots of info.  When I have felt like eating overthe last 4 days, I have had fruit and veggies. It's just the caffeine now...! 

Thanks again

Maz

• Posted

Hi Mazcat, I know exactly the pain your talking about, my first couple of pain attacks happened during the night but now I can get them at any time, a few attacks I've had to go to hospital for morphine . I was sent for a scan which showed I have gallstones and am now waiting to have my gallbladder out. I always felt bruised all down my right side after severe pain. Take Buscopan they are really good, the doctors told me to take them. Hope this helps Debs.
    • Posted

Hi Debs

Thanks very much for your reply. I will definitely ask my doctor about Buscopan. I hope all goes well for you and that you don't have too long to wait before your op.

Best wishes

Maz

• Posted

Let us know how you get on. Debs x.
  • Posted

hi Mazcat

I sure you will find this forum very helpful,Its nice to beable to talk to someone who knows what you are going though.mind started with pain in my right side and back,I didn't know that they were part of the same thing,my doctor sent me for a scan and it came back that I had gallstones,I have been in pain now for some time,its better when I am laid down with a heat pad.the pain can be almost unbearable at times and eating makes it worse.I am now waiting to see someone to tell me if I can have my gallblader removed and hopeful this will take away the pain.you are lucky if your pain has gone away I find mine is always there but is worse first thing in the morning when I get up  and when bending down,your are right it could flare up again,I feel mine is never far away.I do hope yours stays away but you might find that it comes back

good luck and best wishes

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.