First Bartholin's Cyst at 29 yrs old..caused by BC?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Back in March I started a new HBC after coming off it for a few years to give my body a break from the hormones. The decision to try it again was because my periods became heavy and painful. My first experience with HBC (Junel) was overall okay. When I visited my doc to go back on HBC she initially prescribed tri-previ-fem, but the side effects were so bad within the first few days she switched me to tri-sprintec-lo. The first period I had while on tri-sprintec was very painful and intense. Since then however, my periods have gotten much lighter and less painful. Unfortunately, I've now been dealing with a new issue.

My symptoms started early last week--it hurt to sit in certain positions and I felt a soreness to the side of my vaginal opening. I could feel it whenever I coughed. It felt like I had sat on a bike for too long. I squat and do heavy lifting at my job (while wearing jeans) and also sometimes experience straining when going to the bathroom, so I initially thought that was the source of my discomfort--possibly even a small hernia. My boyfriend and I had sex later in the week and I experienced strange vaginal pains I couldn't quite place. I didn't think to associate it with the pain I felt earlier in the week. Over the weekend the pain subsided but came back after I got home from work on Monday. That's when I felt around a bit more to see if I could find the source of the pain. That's when I found the lump. About the size of a marble and tender to the touch. Needless to say I freaked out and got an appt. with my doc.

I did some research and found out about Bartholin's cysts. I had never had one before so it was something new to me. The location and the possible causes (fluid build-up and having sex) seemed to line up with my symptoms as well. When I visited my doc that's what she suspected it was. She examined it and said that it actually appeared to be going away on its own. I was glad to hear that, because that morning I woke up to it being far less sore and noticeable. She prescribed Augmentin to be on the safe side. She didn't seem too concerned at all. Initially I was relieved but after reading more about Bartholin's cysts, I'm still having anxiety. I've been on the meds for 48 hours now and the cyst is still the same size--hasn't shrunk at all.

Apparently the cysts can remain, even when there isn't infection, whereas I thought I could take my meds and have it disappear. So, I assume that means I could possibly have this lump for life? Maybe it will go away because it's small and not painful, as opposed to others who have terrible pain and re-occuring episodes? I guess if that's the case I have to live with it, I just hate the thought of it hanging over my head constantly. I also had another thought--the gland can be clogged by changes in the amount of fluids--and obviously taking HBC changes the amount/consistency of these fluids. So could it be that my HBC is the cause of the cysts? I've never had them until now and I've been on this HBC for about four months--enough time for a cyst to grow. I had a physical back in March when the HBC was prescibed and had no cysts when I was examined. Does that mean the pill I take to ease my period could simultaneously cause future flare-ups? I'm wondering if this is something I should discuss with my doctor. I was so glad to be on a HBC that works for me...it would be a bummer to have to go off it if it's causing this issue. I would rather be cyst-free quite honestly. I read about the more invasive ways these cysts are dealt with and it freaks me out.

I've read about taking baths/using compresses. It confuses me a bit because my lump is so far beneath the surface of my skin. There's nothing there to visually indicate I have the thing at all. No swollen red bump, nothing that looks like it's going to come to a head. I only know the cyst is there when I go feeling around for it. Would baths and compresses help in this case?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been plagued with these cysts for almost 20 years. I was 29 when I got my first one. There has rarely been anything external to suggest anything is wrong, even when infected (which mine usually become). Hot (HOT) baths are the only thing that helpos me! Good luck
    • Posted

Is the hot bath is supposed to reduce the size of a painless cyst or relieve swelling/pain/make an abscess drain? And by plagued, do you mean like, they have caused you pain? Or just annoy you because you have them?
  • Posted

Byy plagued, I mean I've had them repeatedly - hospitalized n needed surgery - blood poisoning as infection has been so bad. The hot bath helps to burst them ( preventing the infection if it works). When I get them I can't sit/walk - do anything really, pain is excruciating!

• Posted

Try the sitz bath. You wont be able to see the gland opening as it lies just inside the vagina. However, when you sit in a sitz bath the water rises up into the vagina and soaks the opening with the possability of it warming the blocked fluid and helping to drain the cyst.

Depending on how bad the pain gets you may want to have it lanced. I do suggest talking to your doctor in regards to HBC possible affect on reoccurance. Although most doctors are not sure what causes it. They say rough sex, irriation, etc can cause it. 

I cant tell you if it will be reoccuring or not, everyone is different.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to sanitize my tub I think hah..I rent and the tub is super old and kinda bleh..never bathed in it only showered. Maybe a hot compress too?

At this point I have no pain at all. Can't feel it while walking or sitting, and when I touch it it doesn't hurt. In general it's definitely better than it was and even my doc said it seemed like it was subsiding on its own which should be encouraging?

I guess I will just finish the antibiotics and give it some more time..maybe it will just take a while to subside? If not I will have to speak to my doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.