First colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 40 year old male, and due to a family history of bowel cancer i am due to have my first colonoscopy next week. i have been given Klean-prep to take as the laxative has anyone any experence of this. Also during the colonoscopy itself am worried about my bum hole tighening round the probe 

thanks guys

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had a number of preparations but they are all basically the same; some taste better than others. Follow the instructions carefully, take enough water and try and drink it normally and not force it down too quickly. Don't worry about your anal sphincter tightening. That doesn't happen. You feel a pushing sensation usually as it goes up the sigmoid (right) part of the gut and in most cases that feeling goes as they turn the corner and go across to the left hand (distal) part. They try to put it round quite quickly and then withdraw it more slowly. Obviously when they are withdrawing it is going the normal way anyway and most people don't find that part more than mildly uncomfortable (if that). If you have had sedation you may not even be much aware of any of it happening. The tubing keeps the anal sphincter open so it can't close and that's not something you need to worry about. Good luck! Most people find worrying about it worse than the reality.

• Posted

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday following hidden blood being found after my routine nhs bowel screening. Very anxious about the prep, the exam and the results (also have a family history). The prep was not nearly as bad as I had expected (Picolax 1sachet in 150ml water at 8am and again at 2pm almost a citrus flavour), just stay very close to a toilet and don't let anyone get in your way :-) Tasted OK and effects started after about an hour and lasted most of night but with much reduced output.

Colonoscopy itself was OK. I was sedated but felt completely awake but calm and can remember everything. Obviously it is a strange sensation but all staff extremely good at putting you at ease and it seemed very routine. I definitely felt pressure build which is like stomach cramps during a stomach bug or just prior to severe wind but although intense at times were bearable. I watched it all on the screen in front of me and it was fascinating but I felt disconnected from the images I was seeing. A nurse is beside your head at most times, reassuring you and checking you are OK.

It was as dignified as it could be, as you are mostly covered by a blanket so don't feel exposed.

Try to relax (you'll be surprised how easy that is with a few deep breaths and the sedation). It takes just a second for it to be initially inserted, then it's just a case of it being pushed in further but you won't be very aware of the distance it's travelled!

I had one polyp removed at the time which caused no additional discomfort or pain. The other polyp was too big to remove so I need to have an operation to remove it. They took multiple biopsies of it which again were painless.

I am now anxiously awaiting the results which take around 2 weeks.

I would have no huge worries about going through it again (inconvenience more than anything). Please try not to worry too much and hope your's goes OK.

• Posted

I just had colonoscopy 2 days ago. The worst part for me was taking the 4 packets of Klean Prep each one with a litre of water. The running to sit on the throne was of course expected.

I started with my first Klean prep at noon and by 1700 I had taken them all.  I stopped having to go to the toilet around 1900

I had the colonoscopy the following day and for me it was 45 minutes though I believe a lot are done in 25 minutes or so.

I didn't take sedative but was given Nitous Oxide  gas to take as I basically felt like it through mouth piece. I would rate discomfort at 3/10 I think when getting round a couple of bends otherwise much less.The first thing that is inserted is an anal plug I think to ease passage of instruments and this will always eliminate the problem you think you might encounter.

As I previously said,the worst part for me was without doubt the prep with the Klean Prep and if I get another colonoscopy I would without doubt elect to have no sedation once again,

Regards,  will43.

• Posted

What does the Klean prep taste like, i read somewhere its nasty taste?
  • Posted

As I said previously,for me,hardest part of whole procedure was taking the Klean Prep.  It tastes awful but I noted on this forum,other people added some acceptable cordial or whatever to disguise the taste.  4Ltres is a LOT of water and Klean Prep to take.

Regards,will43

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.