First Colonoscopy SCARED.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I'm having my first colonoscopy in October, and have just received my prep pack.

I have been provided with 'Klean Prep' as my laxative and wondering if anyone had experience with this or advice?

I'm only 19 so I'm quite worried that they've sent me for a colonoscopy as I haven't got a diagnosis yet and more common issues have all been ruled out. 

If anyone has experience with colonoscopy and could share the best ways to deal with it? What sedation is provided, pain relief etc?

And how soon you get result?

Anything would be appreciated 

Thanks. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Charlie please do not let them Buffalo you into a colonoscopy if other events have been ruled out please seek a second opinion
  • Posted

Not heard of that laxative before, but I'm sure someone on here has. I had my colonoscopy last Nov and was scared too. I hate being 'out of control' so opted to just breath through whatever pain there was. It was much better then I thought, the doc had gas and air if I needed it, but  to honest  there was only 3 very short bits of uncomfort which I stopped talking and breathed through.  The doc was very caring and careful not to put too much air in and I think with me being awake took more care. 

I watched it all and could tell them where I thought the problem was. I had a sore area near the entrance. A biopsy was taken but at the time they said it all looked fine. 

For or me the prep was worse, I had Movieprep, vile stuff. 

Please don't worry too much, you will be fine. 

Let us know how you get on.

Take care 😊

• Posted

My prep and the procedure were no problem. They told me all was OK as soon as I got off the table. I had some sedation but was very aware throughout. ​Also very chatty!  They told me all was well as soon as I got off the table. There was very little pain. Best wishes. 
  • Posted

You don't say what the issues are. All the laxatives are much of a muchness. You go to the loo a lot and need to keep hydrated and use some cream or Vaseline to present soreness. However you aren't ill so it's not as bad as a gastric bug and it only lasts a day. You can have sedation. Most people cope with it fine. The gut is shaped like an 'n' and as they approach the first bend you usually feel a bit of pressure for a second. They go in quite quickly and withdraw more slowly: the withdrawal is in the normal direction so is very rarely painful. I have always found the laxatives more annoying than the colonoscopy. You may get a bit of gas for a few days. I had a lot of gut trouble at your age (it has gone now) and mine was an intolerance to too much wheat, too many nuts and any broad or baked beans (which I was sad because I loved them). It's very likely you will have a similar functional problem but I think it is helpful to know definitively that there is nothing seriously wrong. Really good luck and don't panic. Most people find it isn't as bad as they feared... best of luck!

• Posted

I don't know that brand. I've had at least 4 of these scopes before. The prep is the worst part. Use a straw. Don't put the whole flavor pack in at first. Try it out a little to see if you like it. If you do, then add it in. I've seen others say to use a lime after you've drunk your stuff, each time. It's salty and a little greasy feeling. This time I was given the pills to use. Not sure how that will go. If it gets hard, take a short break. If you were told to drink every 10 minutes and that is too much, stretch it to 15 minutes. Call your Dr if you have any problems. I threw up last time and he called in a prescription to settle my stomach. The scope itself is fine. I ask for enough sedation so I don't know what's going on. No big deal. The prep day is worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.