First colonoscopy tomorrow

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody. I am getting my first colonoscopy / endoscopy tomorrow in order to figure out what’s been causing me some troubles. I’m only 18 and I have anxiety and honestly I am absolutely horrified. I’m in class now and I just can’t stop crying. I’m worried about the prep I have to start at 6 PM tonight (Suprep), worried about being dehydrated, worried about the procedure in itself. Especially after reading all the horror stories on the internet. I guess I’m just looking for any positivity you could offer me because I’m going through a really rough time right now and honestly just want to cancel. Thanks in advance. 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have had both and neither was anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. They are completely routine thing for the doctors that are performing them and they are great at calming you down and making it as pleasent an experience as possible. The calmer that you are, the easier it is for the docs, so if you are feeling up right then simply mention it to them and they will certainly help. It’s in there best interest to have you as calm as possible. Trust me, once the procedures are over with, you will be wondering what all the fuss was about. 
    • Posted

I’ll definitely be telling the doctors all my fears. I’ve had two minor surgeries (wisdom teeth extraction & tonsillectomy) and showed up in tears both times. The tonsil people were great to me, wisdom teeth not so much. I had a panic attack in the chair while waiting for sedatives to kick in and no one was paying any attention to me just talking among themselves. Maybe that is why I’m so worried about this procedure. Thanks for the reassurance. 

• Posted

It will be fine. I had one a couple of weeks ago, it didn’t hurt at all. The laxatives didn’t dehydrate me either, no headache, no cramps, just lots of visits to the toilet. It just feels like you have a finger in your bottom for the procedure and then some wiggling around in your lower abdomen (no pain, just sensations). They should give you gas and air to keep you relaxed. Afterwards you may have some trapped wind which is a bit uncomfortable but it soon passes. It really wasn’t that bad at all and the nurses will reassure you. It’s best to have it done to give your doctors a better idea of the cause of your problems and to rule other things out. Good luck, I bet you’re tougher than you think x
    • Posted

Thanks so much Ruth. I just started drinking the prep and it isn’t nearly as bad tasting as I saw some making it out to be so one worry down! Now just worried for the runs to start coming though.. ant suggestiong on how to stay hydrated? Of course the first thing I read on the pamphlet they gave me was a risk of seizures even if you’ve never had them before from imbalance of electrolytes, I’m a bit freaked out. Only drank 2-3 bottles of water today. Also I believe they are going to sedate me for the procedure. 
  • Posted

Hi. What I always do is have sedation. That's the best way.

• Posted

Hi Susan I will be sedated which is a whole other fear in itself for me! I think they’re using propofol not entirely sure. 
    • Posted

Hi Kennedy. Don,t worry about the sedation. Its only mild and just enough so you don't have to feel or remember it. You are not asleep and are able to sit up and have some water and a cup of tea shortly after. As long as you have someone to stay with you when you go home ,just in case you have any problems, but I have never had any. I have been having these colonoscopy's and the cameras down my stomach for years with sedation with no problems. Good luck.

• Posted

I never had sedation though i did ask but i am in the uk so they will work it diff here but im really happy you will be sedated . The procedure really is fine and quick ... anxiety however is the killer sad it stops me living these days so i genuinely admire you for steaming through it smile ... i hope you get some rest before the procedure and i hope you wake feeling positive.... your stronger than you think and braver than you feel !!!
    • Posted

Thank you so much. Yes anxiety has really taken over my life sad trying to push through it as you said. Thinking about all the good food I’m going to eat when this is over. I just woke up to take the second half of the prep. Anxiety of the procedure has officially set in! Ugh 
    • Posted

I hear you trust me

..anxiety is my enemy ! ... so what are planning on eating after the procedure ... im a little jealous your getting sedative wink

• Posted

Oh and i didnt drink it ... i spent 4 hours getting through a few sips before i realised i should give up as i was never going to drink 2 litres of that stuff... each time i tried i cried. I was sweating and i was even sick :o ... by the end of the night i was a tired mess rolleyes ... i was very embarrassed to tell my doctor i couldnt drink it ... so well done for getting this far ! smile
    • Posted

I’m eating my favorite. A chicken strip pita. Procedure is done now! It was so quick but my parents said it took me a while to wake up, lol! The sedative works wonders. Last thing I remember they just put the mouth piece in me, injected the sedative as I felt it in my arm and the anesthetist told me take five deep breaths, i think i got to two. Then woke up in recovery! 
    • Posted

Yaaayyy i am so pleased its all over and done with....sounds like you got a little rest too wink

Glad you have enjoyed some tasty food :p let us know what the results are ... i am due another operation soon and i definitely will be asking for some of that sedative .... either that or they take me screaming and kicking ( in reality more like shaking and crying haha )

Take care smile

Penny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.