First consultation ...what to expect?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m having an apt with an orthopaedic surgeon in a few weeks...I have had a bunion for 27 years though has gotten very painful past few years....I would really like sone relief.  I have had an X-ray done that was sent to the surgeon, now I will be meeting with him on the 19th... what can I expect to happen at this appointment?  Does he decide then and there if he will do the surgery?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tamara34950!  Every practice is different, but I can share w you what my experience was like.

I've had my bunion for many years as yourself.  Now 48, I finally had the surgery done.  The initial process started 2 years before I decided on a doctor to perform the procedure.  I received a referral initially from my general/family doctor to a nearby podiatrist.  The P I saw offered some good advice and options, including exercises to prevent further pain.  All sounded good but at that point I was weary of going under the knife.  So any advice as to how to maintain and deal w my bunion at the time w/o surgery was welcomed.  After doing further research on this particular doctor, I knew there was no way I was going to see him again let alone cut into me.  Months of further research led me to finally find a well established orthopedic surgeon (OS) in the next state over (about an hour amd a half away).  Some things to keep in mind and consider when choosing an OS and surgery:

- credentials

- affiliations

- reviews by real people

- bed side manner - is he/she  personable

- level of knowledge & professionalism 

- office staff 

- how accommodating is the OS & med staff to my specific needs

- options offered

- turn around time w follow thrus

- settle for nothing short of 99.8% excellence

- patient w your many questions

- who brings up surgery option first

- OS is in no rush to explain details of the surgery for your particular foot/feet

- OS thoroughly explains what the recovery time will be like, time frame, and what items you may need or that they can provide (crutches, knee scooter, air cast, handicap tag, doctor's note for employer, etc.).  If you happen to have any of these already, do let them know so you save on some costs.

- Paperwork that clearly explains in detail the above.  

- Consider having your spouse, partner, or trusted relative/friend accompany you to all your doctor visits.  Yes, even the consultation visit.  Majority of the time, I had my husband w me at each appt in case I didn't catch something or forgot to ask something.

- Don't be too anxious to schedule an appt right then and there without doing your homework/research on a OS.  Tge last thing you need is someone practicing on you and having to get another OS to fix their mistake.

My first consultation w my chosen OS was in 10/2017, and I had hoped to get my surgery before our annual road trip vacation within 2 months.  Being that it was the end of the year w other folks w the same idea to get things done before the end of the year, schedule was too tight to squeeze me in.  So my appt was scheduled for late 01/2018.  I am now just over 9 months post op and am delighted that I had the procedure done in January.  My bunion was considered mild to moderate.  And the type of bunionectomy procedure that was done was called Austin (aka Chevron) where the bone was shaved down and 1 titanium screw inserted.  While he was in there, my OS also shaved down a bone spur I had on top of my foot which I had complained about.  So my incision is about 4" vs 2.5".  I don't expect to run any marathons any time soon.  Complete healing is expected at 12 months post op (PO).  I've probably used 3" heels maybe twice since for a couple hours as OS allowed, but for the most I am in shoes that allow natural toe splay and where the heel to toe drop is minimal (ie. low booties, Converse, Astral, Topo Athletics, Born, UGG, Spring Step, etc).

As far as appts go from your surgery, you can expect the following PO appts:

2 weeks (stitches removed, begin ROM & scar treatment)

6 weeks (check on toe's ROM, etc)

12 weeks (back in shoes)

24 weeks (optional)

Hope all this helps you!  All the best to you and your bunionectomy journey!!

• Posted

Hi....

This really depends on whether you're in the UK or another country...

Are you under the NHS or private patient?

If UK based and NHS....you should have a consultation with what usually is the surgeon that will be doing the operation. If agreed an operation is needed the normal practice is to be added to a waiting list..... Times will depend on which area you are in...

Pretty sure privately done you pretty much have the consultation and decide between the two of you which time scales will suit to have the operation.

Can't help with info from over seas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.