First couple days

Posted , 5 users are following.

i am on day 2 of 20mg lexapro my dr didnt start me off on a low dose. i have been dizzy feeling weird and lightheaded, also my anxiety has been raised so i have had shortness of breathe more then i like to. he also gave me temazepam to sleep. i am to the point of taking the temazepam during the day to help my anxiety but at rest my heart rate is down to 55-60. i am 6'4 375pounds is that why he started me so high. please help i got off zoloft because i couldnt breath and i was itching 2 days before i started this, was only on it for 3 weeks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike

I would reach out to your Dr about the HB as I don't know your health history. Mine is usually 60 resting on these as well.

Hang in there because the side effects of these meds are brutal. Not everyone gets the side effects and not everyone that does get them get them as heavy as they can be or for as long. However for some of us they can be very brutal and last 6 weeks or more. I am NOT saying that'll happen to you but it has for me unfortunately.

I am currently on week 3 of escitalopram. I was just raised to 20 mg now because the 10 didn't seem to be working for me.

I have had every side effect possible from extreme anxiety, heightened depression, emotional flatness, chest tightness, panic attacks. The worse for me has been the emotional flatness. I feel

completely empty inside and have no desire to do anything in life which is so hard because for me this came out of nowhere and I am in a part of my life where I have so much to look forward too and so much to live for.

My Dr gave me ATIVAN to help ease some of the anxiety. Some days it helps some days it doesn't.

The side effects do pass though you feel like thwy never will. BUT THEY WILL!

• Posted

mike

it takes a while to recover!! the meds are working but it is tough as andrea said! i had itching too when i came off paxil and went to zoloft. for me could have been side effects or anxiety! these ssris arent quick it can take many months to recover. you got to go through side effects plus the anxiety you already have in beginning.

give the med and dosage a long time before giving up on it. you will get there!!

• Posted

If I were you, I would at least cut the dose in half for a couple weeks. That would at least get you going through the hardest part. It is something you might want to talk to your dr. about. 20mg is quite a dose to start out on. Even 10 was brutal for me tarting out.

• Posted

Hi Mike, I too have been on lexapro 20 mg now for 3 1/2 months and it does work but it takes about 6-8 weeks to feel much better. It does start to help in about 4 weeks. I also talk with a therapist every 2 weeks and he has helped me through this anxiety. So maybe you can find a good therapist to talk to. I have also started with a meditation class and exercising .My psych doctor is also very knowledgeable and has guided me. Mike how old are you? I wish you well and keep me posted.

• Posted

i am only 25 its the same age my mom started having these attacks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.