First day...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello its my first day to take citalopram... Ive been using Xanax before but only as needed..but my dictor suggested to start taking citalopram...im pretty nervous of the side effect..but hoping in a week or so it wont be as bad.

After i took my first pill 3 hours ago..i started to feel a little tired.. Little sweaty hands..no headaches.. And a little anxious..a feeling i dont really like..is this normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi kath, yes it is normal for citalopram, I'm afraid to say it gets worse before it gets better, did your GP not say this to you? And it last for around 4 to 8 weeks before you start noticing a difference, so that the citalopram has time to get into your system.

Now its all dependant on the person to how you'll react, some are worse than others, and some don't get any side effects at all.

Me personally, I gave up after 5 days and went onto venlafaxine instead, i couldn't handle it, it wasn't the right drug for me, my mum on the other hand has been on it for years and she says its improved her life a lot, like i said, depends on the person.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'm going through partial insomnia at the moment on the venlafaxine and i also take propranolol which is a beta blockers because my panic attacks went through the roof, these help with the physical symptoms. Only been on venlafaxine for 2 and a half weeks so there still getting into my system.....its to be expected with any anti depressant though. Anyway like i said i will probably be up until around 3 or 4am so should be able to get back to you tonight.

hope this helps some.

Danielle x

• Posted

Thanks...well my doctor said that too...but after taking one pill now its making me think not to take any anymore...im having abdomen problem my gallbladder has been removed 2 years ago and im still having pain on my upper abdomen...and i feel that its the reason why im feeling anxious..im probably thinking im having a heart attack smile. ..although im not..

He gave me some fiber meds and im actually thinking of taking that first for a weel and see how it will work with my abdominal pain..maybe if the pain stops then i wont be anxious anymore..

I started one pill today...will it be a problem if i dont take one tomorrow?

• Posted

Hi yeah you do have worse to cone I been on cital 20mg for 4 weeks now and was really bad with side effects sweats headaches anxiety shakes weak bladder insomnia worst still get it now that's why im on here. But I am starting to feel a lot better this site with people supporting me has been great. So anytime if you need anything just ask. All the best x
  • Posted

Ok, when i first started taking mine my panic attacks went through the roof, i developed anxiety and depression, i got every side effect labelled on the information pamphlet and more, i had the worst time of my life on them, i don't mean to scare you by the way, I'm just saying I got all that in 1 day and continued taking them for a further 4 days before i just gave up, but I'm only 24, first time asking for medical help around my panic attacks even though I've had them for 8 years, first time taking antidepressants, i couldn't have imagined what it would have been like in my wildest dreams and my expectations were too high so i think maybe i gave up a little too soon.

If you really want to see the results that citalopram can have then i would continue with them, the sooner you start taking them then the quicker 4-8 weeks will be over with, you have to commit I'm afraid, taking one then giving up isn't going to do much, take another tomorrow and see how you feel, if you can still cope then carry on and your doing well, just try take it 1 day at a time.

And i don't know if this helps, mainly because i don't know anything about having your gallbladder taken out, but when i was on citalopram i got the exact same pains in my upper abdomen and it felt like someone punched me in the heart, i went to A&E, scared the crap out of me, turns out with the increased panic attacks and developing anxiety around them, I'd strained the muscles in my heart and abdomen, that's what the pain was, and after a few days on diazepam to calm me down the pains went away.

hope I've helped in some way.

Danielle x

• Posted

And to answer your question no it wont do you any harm, bit i do suggest persevering with them.

Danielle x

• Posted

I also had bad anxiety, panic attacks, terrible insomnia, bipolar like mood swings, laughing at absolutely nothing ( that was really embarrassing ) I never got head aches though but having said that I've never had normal headaches only hang overs and when I was ill with say flu for instance ( the worst head aches I've ever had was when I had Meningitis as a young teen, I swear I never knew they came in that size.) After stopping taking citilapram ( there is a fair bit of cold turkey, although it does fade incrementally day by day ) I was left with what I consider the worst of the side effects, Citilapram numbs your brain I took them for 3 years and I've been off them for 2 years and I still suffer from a lowering of my cognizant abilities eg: serious lack of concentration, loss of the ability to think complicated problems through, unable to hold anything in short term memory say like a set of instructions at work,terrible brain fog. I reckon I'm about 25 % dumber than I was pre citilapram.... My advice is stop now and bin them you don't need them.....Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Kath,

They take you through a rollacoaster of side effects to begin with but have changed my life for the better! I had severe anxiety and panic attacks before and although the side effects are bad one or two weeks of that to get my life back was a small price to pay.

My panic attacks increased in frequency but reduced in severity for the first month following that I haven't had one in almost 8 months.

Pending your circumstances I was struggling to function normally before citalopram (after a severe breakup, prior to which I had never experiences anxiety, panic attacks or depression) so for me it got be back to my outgoing normal self.

I'm now in the process of reducing my dosage and the side effects are partially back but hopefully again are just temporary.

Good lucak and as Angela said always feel free to ask any questions you want there are so many people in the same situaiton who can provide you with support and guidance.

• Posted

Thanku for that. I have settled now on cital and almost there. Only thing I'm stil doing at same time is reducing my old tab which was causing bad side effects at same time that's why I was struggling so much. My sleep a lot better but not great now so getting used to having less. But docs tomorrow for check up and after a month off work probably going back next week. Which not looking forward to. All the best kath also u will get there I was like you at first but im 5 or 6 weeks on now . X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.