First day after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday they removed my right adrenal gland with 2.7 cm hopefully adenoma.  Pathology report will be ready in a week or so.  I feel fine,I quess, except  really bad headache after anesthesia.  I didn't know anesthesia recovery was so bad for some people.  The give me 100mg hydrocortisone through iv twice a day. Does anybody have an idea if the dosage is alright? It seams too high to me.  I hope this surgery brings me to my old me. I will appreciate any advice to help me with post op. period,since I've heard for some it's hard time to adjust to steroids. Thank you 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I guess it is an important operation. Are they going to give you iv 100 mg twice a day for how long?

I am sure they know what they are doing. One thing is treating/diagnosing  people for adrenal insufficiency and hypothyroidism, another is in hospitals after surgery. My personal experience with the latest has been fine. I think you need to give yourself time to recover. If you are familiar with mindful meditation is of great help. When I am stressed I use it and it helps a lot. Perhaps in the hospital somebody could help you with introducing you to mindful meditation. How many days will you be in hospital after surgery?

Hope you get well soon

monsie

• Posted

Something that works for me is: try to think as often as you can about good things happening to you: a good meal, the forum, a lovely weather, feeling that one is coping better, that one is stronger as time goes by.... write those good things in a list on a book with the date and you will be surprised how many good things happen to you, some small ones, others not so 'small'...

Keep trying

monsie

• Posted

Yes any befor or after any surgery big or small you will need that boost of steroids. I was recently rushed to hospital was in there for a week with hyperthyroidism and they gave me 100 mil of steroids via iv plus on a drip try not to worry it won't be long on the 100

• Posted

Thank you. I'm home already and on 25 mg twice a day, eventually going to 25 mg daily in two days. I hope this will keep me in good shape.  Feel awful after surgery.  

• Posted

I'm on 30 mil a day have been since 2012 anything less I feel rubbish the doctors know what there doing don't forget any types of surgery even having a tooth out or a filling you need to double the steroids or if in hospital be on iv steroids remember this is only good for us it keeps us going hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thank you, Chris for this information.  The doctors didn't tell me that. May I ask you why are you taking steroidso since 2012? The second gland refused to kick in? Or you have other issues?

• Posted

Hi that's fine I have Addison disease both my adrenal glands not working right. And recently I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. People with my condition can get this at some point meaning more pills to take.

• Posted

Has your pathology report come back? Hope you are feeling better daily🙏

• Posted

Hello, yes, I have the report. It was adenoma, thank God. It's a great relief for me.  I still feel fatigue, everything hurts, headache.  I'm on 45mg hydrocortisone daily.  Talked to endocrinologist, she finally called me today. She says I might stay with this dose up to an year which doesn't make any sense.  People usually taper much sooner.  I'm thinking about seeing another endo. Anyway how are you feeling?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.