First day without Venlafaxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

well guys, it’s finally here. My first day without Venlafaxine after a week taking 9.2mgs all week. Please wish me luck. One day at a time. Any support or advice really appreciated..thank you 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My Doctor has me weaning off 37.5mg dose every other day for a week and then stopping.
  • Posted

Hello Julia,

Good Luck to you!! I hope it goes well for you!

I was on Ven 75mg. for over 15 years, and weaned off over a period of about 1 year. Looking back, that may have been too rapid.  When I got down to 10 mg dose, I took out 1 mg a week.  So 10mg for a week, then 9 mg for a week, then 8 mg the following week, etc.  When I was down to 1 mg, I took that for 3 weeks before discontining entirely.  I still had withdrawal symptoms, for many months afterwards, although not at the intensity that I believe I would have had I done a faster taper.  Omega 3 morning and night seemed to help.  Staying away from sugary foods seemed to help. Nothing aleviated all symptoms.  I am 28 months off this drug and still have some issues. It is a long journey, but you are on the right path.  Take good care of yourself!

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your encouraging email. It’s been day 2 today...feel very sick, headaches and my hips hurt? Is that where the Omegas help? And all I want to eat is carbs, not good when already 2stone overweight. I have just taken the dogs out for a 45 minute walk but puffed and painted my way round. I feel 106...so appreciate reading from people who are going or have been through the same thing. Thank you xx
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

It's not easy, but you can do it!  For me, the Omega 3's helped calm nerves somewhat.  I had a huge spike of anxiety after discontinuing ven, and I had never had that type of agitation/anxiety before I took ven or during.  Also, nausea, confusion, depression, anger, it's all part of the process.  You're right, carbs probably don't help, but good news is, I dropped 20 lbs after discontinuing this drug. Hang in there, it takes quite a while, but you can do it!

• Posted

I’m hanging in there, so determined to not ever touch this drug again. Thank you 
  • Posted

My weaning experience was to drop by half dose for a month then stop.I did get " brain zaps " over a couple of weeks but manged to stay off then Good luck with your attempt!

• Posted

How are you doing Julia? xx
    • Posted

Hi Lucy, thank you for your thoughts. I’m on week 2 without Venlafaxine and now taking Vortioxitine, a bit low but no temptation to go back. Loading up on Omegas. Was sick all weekend after catching some bug that also ripped through the family, apart from that, I appear to be reasonably well!!

and how about you? 

• Posted

So glad you're doing well, keep it up smile

After five weeks off of venlafaxine my mood has plummeted. Psych has put me on Duloxetine. Feel a bit like I'm back to square one but hoping this one actually works for me.

• Posted

Feel like a  square one too. Stick at it Lucy...let me know how you do xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.