First encounter with amlodipine! Not impressed.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 65 (Australian). I can  honestly say that I've never in my whole life suffered any side effects from any medication, including antibiotics, ramapril and simvastatin.  Until now.  On Wednesday I was prescribed 2.5 milligrams of amlodipine (in addition to my usual medication of 10 millgrams of ramapril), following readings of 170 over 80/85 for two successive days.  I'll admit my diet has been high in salt in recent months, especially soy sauce and miso.   

On Friday night I noticed a slight headache, tinnitus.  On Saturday however, I felt horrible, in fact quite scared…foggy, lethagic, unable to concentrate, upset stomach, with aches and pains all over (but in no particular place for any length of time), lots of anxiety.  Today Sunday I'm feeling  better.  I still feel a little bit lethargic as if I'd like an afternoon nap (which for me is unusual).  I still have a slight headache, some slight tinnitus, but the aches and pains are mostly gone now and I'm feeling less freaked. 

I'm hoping the symptoms ease in the next few days as my body adjusts.  I'm just amazed that 2.5 milligrams of amlodipine could have had such an effect on a person like myself who has never in 65 years had any side effects from any medication. So far the only good thing about amlodipine is that it has resolved me to go back to a low salt diet and stay there forever.   No more sushi, no more soy sauce, no more miso.

I guess there are people who tolerate amlodipine OK.  So far I can't say that I'm impressed.  My heart goes out to all those here who have been through hell.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to the world of Amlodipine, I too have had problems, tired, foggy, I'm on a much higher dose. My doctor is pleased with the results, keeps my BP in check, and doesn't want to take me off the med. I have to accept some of the ugly side affects even when I'm exercising, but it's hit, and miss, some days I'm OK, others all I want to do is sleep.I've found the more I exercise, the better I feel, even if I push myself with that extra rep, or set while weight training, I wind up with a relaxing calm feeling when all is said and done.
  • Posted

I've only heard of two people who tolerated Amlodipine well, and one of those is so frail she wouldn't notice the difference!

Let's know how you get on with it.

• Posted

Here's my addendum to my last post. I feel like I got hit with a "feel terrible pill". I'm writing this trying to concentrate, I took the "A" pill about an hour ago, and am ready to  nap, yes it does have those pesky side affects, but it does control my BP. As I wrote, sometimes this happens, other times like yesterday, I was fine, did a heavy workout, byclycled home, today no so much. Maybe I'm feeling the affects of the weight training, my muscles are repairing from the abuse I put them through, but that Amlodipine, great pill if it wasn't for the part that makes you feel like crap.
    • Posted

It might be worth checking which particular salt of Amlodipine you're on. My wife cannot tolerate the maleate but seems OK with the besilate.
    • Posted

It was just a thought. I suppose it might be worth trying the maleate instead, or even the mesilate. I variously get given all three by our local pharmancy and don't seem to get any side effects from any of them. My wife on the other hand has to insist on the besilate.

We're all different and the medical profession would do well to keep that in mind.

• Posted

Bruce,

[B]" I'm just amazed that 2.5 milligrams of amlodipine could have had such an effect on a person"[/]

Just 1.5mg proved too much for me!  I remained on it for a couple of months but things didn't improve.  I do wish you well and hope that you are luckier.  If not, don't put up with it too long - remember there are many alternatives.

• Posted

Im on 10 mg plus about 15 other drugs each day plus 10 methotrexate once a week - and I feel grotty, aches all over, gut ache, drowsy, fall asleep any time any place anywhere and dont really feel like myself at all.  But at least the BP is back under control again sort of, its a very nasty trade off, I take so much meds Im almost uninsurable for any holiday I misht ever feel like taking if I could afford it.Its such a relief to realise that at least there may be a reason for why I feel so rough on all this junk.Thanks guys for freeing me from the guilty worry that it must be  me, rather than the junk Im required to swallow.

• Posted

I did not tolerate amlodipine at fifty nine I felt very ill and could not use my hands necessitating six months physio plus an operation for cts leaving my left hand very weak. Walking became a problem and though I had lovely slim legs in my early fifties I now seem afflicted with arthritis and swollen knees although I stopped taking this drug three years ago. I read an article about some users being totally unable to walk after high doses so I now use another drug to lower bp suggested by my dermatologist as another side effect was severe psoriasis.
  • Posted

I'm wondering if the weight training is blunting the affects of Amlodipine. Instead of succumbing to the tiredness, I have been increasing weights, and reps, and waiting less between sets, in other words I'm off setting what I'm supposed to feel like, and after the workout, I feel relaxed, not tired, maybe I'm confusing my body, instead of sleeping, I'm doing the opposite. BTW, I'm on 10 mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.