First episode of AF

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone I’m 40 years old and few days ago went to a and e with palpitations found to be in fast Af couldn’t get heart rate down for 20 hours. The cardiologist seemed to think it was caused by drinking the night before, I don’t have any medical problems and don’t drink often anybody else heard that this is correct. I’m very scared that this is going to happen again. I’ve not been put in medication and hope to see cardiologist again in few weeks I’ve also been under lots of stress lately could this also be a trigger? Any advice would really help 

1 like, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Same here. I had to go tee-total some years ago. Alcohol is a big trigger for most people, definitely me anyhow. I've also cut out most caffeine as well, just use decaf coffee and tea, and drink alcohol-free beers and wines, some really good now when you get used to them. 

• Posted

That is exactly how my AF started, my heart rate was very fast and irregular. I didn't get to see a cardiologist for 3 months and no medication was given.

stop the alcohol, you may not have another attack at your age for years. I am now in my 60s and am taking medication to control the AF. Carry on living ,you won't die! One in twelve people have AF by the time they are my age.

• Posted

Patrick I was put on bisoprolol 1.25 mg daily and Flecainide 50 mg twice a day. As soon as I turned 65 yrs I was also put on the blood thinner rivaoxiban. I still have breakthrough episodes but infrequently and they stop fairly quickly.

I am treated in London at the Heart Hospital at Barts

• Posted

Thanks, Sarah. Are those prescription meds or can you get those over the counter? Best to you going forward!
  • Posted

Hi Lee, lots of good advice following your post. However the most noticeable comment you make is not having been prescribed an anti-coagulant. If you have any risk factors you should go back and see doctor/cardiologist and ask why not.

I speak from experience, aged 68 and diagnosed with atrial flutter just over a year ago, not prescribed an anti-coagulant, had a stroke a couple of weeks later, and not a TIA, which has left me with impaired vision. Arrhythmias are a known source of stroke, and your situation should be assessed using the CHADs-VASc risk assessment tool. This looks at age, weight, smoking, alcohol, genetic predisposition etc to assess your risk of a stroke. Ironically, immediately after the stroke I am now on an anti-coagulant for life.

Best Wishes

Sherpa Al

• Posted

Hi Lee,

As others have stated, both alcohol and stress are common afib triggers. That said, pinning down a trigger can be hit or miss, especially if you've only had one episode.

When you say "couldn't get heart rate down for 20 hours" -- are you talking about your rate or getting your rhythm back to normal? My experience and understanding is that rate is fairly easy to treat within a few hours  either in a hospital setting, or out, with rate control drugs. Rhythm, on the other hand, will sometimes be restored by itself, sometimes rhythm drugs are used, and sometimes they shock the heart back to a normal rhythm with electro cardioversion. It's unclear if right now you're in normal rhythm or not, or still in afib?

Jim

• Posted

Thank you to everyone who has replied, my score was 0 and I have no past medical history and I don’t very often drink. I have an appointment in two weeks to see cardiologist again he didn’t want to put me on blood thinners because of my score. 
    • Posted

So my heart rate came down to 120 but I was still in af after 24 hours and bisoplol and digoxin I went back into sinus rhythm so I’m keeps my fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again 
    • Posted

Your cardiologist makes sense but be prepared for different opinions if/when you see different docs, especially EPs. In the end, it's your decision.

Jim

• Posted

If you're seeing another doctor, you might want to discuss how to handle future episodes that hopefully you will never have. I'm unfamiliar with  the bisoplol/digoxin combo for initial afib treatment. Dilitiazem (cardizem) always gets my rate down usually within an hour. Sounds like your hr was a bit high for a longer period but can't argue with success. How long did it take you to get back into normal rhythm after the episode began? I assume you were not electro cardioverted?

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jimjames so my episode started Saturday evening and got back into normal rhythm early hours Monday. They were just about to cardiovert me but I went back into sinus 
    • Posted

I read somewhere that a large per cent of folks naturally cardiovert within 48 hours or so, like yourself, which begs the question why they so often rush you to electro cardioversion without waiting a little for nature to take over. They can always cardiovert a week or so later with a precautionary TEE to prevent clots. I wish I knew this years ago instead of having four electro cardioversions which I may not have needed. Glad your doctor had you wait. That's my plan next time, if there is a next time.

Jim

• Posted

I agree. Last time I was in ER, they just told me they can shock me within 48 hours even without TEE. I requested they do TEE but they refused and said within 48 hours it's safe without TEE. I asked what if I got a stroke, they said they would monitor me for any symptoms but TEE was not necessary according to the guideline. Thank God that I converted myself after they sedated me, just right before they press the button to shock me. 

I think the medical field don't really care for your life, maybe this is too strong, but that's what I felt. They just wanted to follow the guideline regardless it's correct or not so they don't get trouble should any bad thing happens. It made me very worried they refused to do TEE even I requested it.

• Posted

Hey I can't edit what has been posted. I haven't finished. To continue what I was saying in above, I think they would say 'oops, that's the guideline' rather than someone complains them for sore throat due to the TEE. I won't go to that ER again if I have the choice.

• Posted

Thanks for all your comments after reading this I’m beginning to feel less anxious about things, I’m in the Uk I think we have different names for certain drugs etc to that if the US although it seems the treatment is very similar 
    • Posted

This all assumes that you know exactly when you went into afib. If you're off for example by 12 hours then you're putting yourself at risk being electro cardioverted without a TEE. But the bigger problem as I see it is that since a large proportion of afib episodes will cardiovert naturally in 2-3 days, it makes sense to to wait more than 48 hours to be electro cardioverted to give you body a chance to do it on its own. The ep's really don't seem to care so you really have to have your own plan in advance. For me, should I go into afib again, I have dilitiazem (cardizem) at home to take to reduce my rate to safe levels quickly. I would then simultaneously start thinners as a precaution and probably wait at least a week for my body to convert on its own. If it doesn't, then I would either wait out a few more weeks for safety reasons prior to be electro cardioverted or do it with a TEE. My last electro cardioversion didn't work so I'm really in no rush but fortunately I converted naturally the next day.

Jim

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.