First episode of SVT, it is causing me depression. What to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A month ago today I had an SVT attack. I was having a stressful moment, I was arguing with my girlfriend, and at the end of the argument I noticed that my heart started beating really fast. I had a pulse of 255, and in the emergency room, a modified Valsalva manoeuvre was used to correct the problem.

I was glad I did. I went to see a cardiologist a week later who informed me that it would definitely return in my life and I had no other option but to either take medication for the rest of my life or undergo ablation treatment. Here I chose beta blockers, but I have not taken them once.

I haven't made a decision yet, I've been symptom-free for a month to the day, I try to take potassium, magnesium and other vitamins every day, I try to exercise more (I'm 21, 181 cm tall, 65 kg) and I try to do everything I can to be healthy.

Since my heart condition is perfect according to the doctor and I am trying to do the lifestyle change right, is it possible that it will not develop again?

Ever since the doctor told me that it would come back, I have been mentally worried that it would come out at any time. Even at university, I don't stress about the presentation, I stress about getting sick and having a heart attack. This whole situation is making me feel really bad, I'm depressed. I feel constant pressure in my chest because I feel anxious about it. If I remember that I'm in a good mood and I can have this problem at any time, I lose the mood for life.

What should I do? Please help.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

Do your diligence on the topic. Consult medical professionals and make sure what you have is not life threatening. That will help you to understand your options moving forward!

• Posted

have you had another attack since? also did you confirm with your doctors about it being life threatening

• Edited

hey!

so I'm having a similar experience.

I had my first big svt episode a few days ago.

one minute I was with friends, then my heart went rapid for like 10 minutes, so I drove to the ER.

all of a sudden, I was rushed to a room with a team of nurses, no one explained anything to me, and it felt like some f*ked up movie.

I stayed in the hospital overnight.

they told me to take a pill for the rest of my life, and seemed irritated when I said I needed time to think about it.

I'm quitting coffee, all caffeine, starting potassium and magnesium supplements.

I want to try find a way to nouriche the part of me that is causing faulty wiring... I don't want to take a pill forever.

im basically terrified.

i have to go back to normal life, wondering if my heart will freak out?

it's a lot to process.

anyways, I feel ya.

i hope you have found some good ways to manage your stress and life 🌻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.