First ever mammogram tomorrow terrified of it

Posted , 3 users are following.

What should I ask, I am told it can be excruciatingly painful and that the pain can go on for days - I have a low threashold to pain. From what I have read it sounds horrendous, squashing the breasts in a machine sonds like mediaeval torture. HELP all I want to do is not turn up EVER yet I have noticed some changes that mean  I should go as leaflet with it brought to my attention should have, GP rubbished it when mentioned pain and made me feel a time waster so not mentioned shape changes and nipple changes as not told me what to look for, just made me feel small whe mentioned somethimg.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have heard they are not as painful as they used to be N

and its over very quickly.

If you have changes then discuss with another doctor or with the mammographer tomorrow.

I had Sonocine its not a normal ultrasound, and does not replace a Mammo and vice versa, but it is safer and more accurate than an actual Mammogram is, used especially for dense and fibrocystic boobs.

If I had to choose one or the other a Sonocine hands down.

Good Luck xx

• Posted

Manual manipulation by the radiographer was painful and although managed Togo through with it felt so sick and faint at end of it, left breast still hurting six and half hours later, wonder why I went through with it. If faint am epileptic and have a low threshold to a fit so unlikely to go again as for me not sure worth it.
  • Posted

Well at least it is over and done with hun you're braver than me.....fingers crossed the results are clear xx

Get some rest and hopefully the pauin will be gone tomorrow smile

• Posted

A month WOW that's a long while what country are you in!
    • Posted

UK, but although NHS literature says within two weeks my area examines them in two weeks so can claim to have met targets but then outsources the posting so neither me nor my GP will get them in less than a month!!
    • Posted

I am English and live in the US I truly thought that it was a 48 hrs thing in the UK, some of my pals have had same day results.....heck talk about make you wait and sweat for some folk.
    • Posted

Only way I know of that is if go private and pay, though some NHS areas are better than others so some of them may as well
  • Posted

I have had many mammos, they are no problem to me.  All very quick.

Don't anybody be scared of them.

G.

• Posted

I am personally not afraid of the pain more of the inaccuracy of the mammogram and the positive false aspect....it was just announced by OBYGN online that an ultrasound with the latest technology machines, not only picks up smaller and earlier cancer sells in women with dense breasts it also is 30% more credible than a regular mammogram plus there is no radiation.....if you do a Google report was released last week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.