First ever migraine - numb face?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. Never had a migraine before (aged 44) and something's hapened to me and I wanted to check if it is a migraine, and if the after effecs are normal?

On thursday, i started to get a squiffy feeling in my tummy and just didn't feel 'right'. Shortly after that, I felt like I'd been sacked on teh side of the face and got the worst headache i'd ever had. I went home ill, vomitted when I got home and slept for 2 hours. When I woke up, the left side of my face (tongue included) felt tingly. I went to GP on Friday and checked me over for a stroke but said it was probably just a migraine and ring 111 if I felt any worst...

Saturday and I was in the worst pain imaginable. Rang 111 who told me to go to A&E. Because I said that the pain was sudden and immense. they were worried about bleeding on the brain and I got test to rule that out. Again, I was sent home and told it was just a migraine. 

So now we're onto monday and my head is not sore, but my face is now totally numb (the tingles have stopped). My eyeball feels numb, so does half my tongue and half of my face (all on the left). I still feel really light headed and not hungry at all. When I force myself to eat, it just feels and tastes like sand.

Does this sound like a migraine and is this numbness normal? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I get so mad when so called highly educated drs say oh its "just" a migraine!  If they ever got migraines they wouldnt say that!

Your symptoms show that its something more than a migraine and you need an MRI scan at the very least, it may not show anything, but it will put your mind at rest.  You should be refered to a Neurologist so you can get the best meds to treat this.  Getting numbness etc is NOT normal and if things continue today, go back to your GP or A+E to be properly assessed and dont be fobbed off.

Good luck Jennifer and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes and take care

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! They did an mri scan as well as a lumbar puncture to rule out bleeding on the brain, and once that was ruled out, they were happy to discharge me. 

Not long woken up and face is still totally numb. I’ll try and see a GP today... 

• Posted

ok so at least they took care of anything sinister and that should put your mind at rest.  But still the fact remains, you need something to treat this and the best person to do that is a Neurologist, which your GP should refer you too.

Its definitely not normal to have so much numbness.

I get Hemiplegic Migraine, going weak all down the left side and numbness in face slurred speach and paramedics always say its a stroke and I get treated for stroke, I have a welcoming commite when I arrive at hosp.  They check me over and then decide its my HM, but they keep me for physio to get me back on my feet safely.

What you are getting could be a pre curzor to this?

Keep in touch please jennifer I am keen to know how you get on.

Take care and best wishes,

Good luck

• Posted

Please go back and insist to be looked at again.I get numbness with migraine but it doesn't last long and the fact that you have no taste is worrying.please let us know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.