first eye Vivity emmetropia, second eye?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone, I would like to know your opinion, maybe get an idea how my second operation should proceed.

March 2020 I received the Vivity in the remote dominant eye. Now the right eye is on. In good light I can read from about 35 centimeters. From 50 centimeters I can read well. However, mainly use fonts with good contrast, such as .B smartphone. Newspapers, fonts with poor contrast, are difficult even in good light.

I would very much like to get a few centimeters more closeness. My 3 main focuses for the 2nd operation: 1. No strong optical phenomena, no risk of a failed neuroadaption. (which means that multifocal lenses are excreted) 2. The widest possible range and thus freedom from glasses. 3. The best possible visual acuity. I realize that either way it's a compriss. I am looking for the most suitable, best possible compromise for me.

I am seriously considering 2 options so far, possibly a third party. Do you have a more suitable idea?

1. Vivity on emmotropy. - This should not cause me any optical disturbances and allow an almost perfect visual acuity from about 50 centimeters to Far (as it succeeded in the 1st eye)

2. Vivity with -0.5 diopters - This should give me a few centimeters more closeness without losing binocular appreciably distant. With only -0.5 diopters, neuroaddaption should not be difficult and I should get a uniform picture. Or what do you think? - On the other hand, I have the (small) concern that this mini-monovision will lead to further loss of contrast. And a few centimeters more closeness won't do me any good if the contrast nearby is so bad that I still can't read well nearby.... (these thoughts are pretty much my biggest question)

2b. Eyhance to -1.0 - Should give me less loss of contrast. However, the mini-monovision would be larger, so probably the binocular image would be more difficult and I would lose some distance - therefore probably not an option for me.

3. A bifocal lens, focal points near and far. - This is where I know the least. Is there a bifocal lens with wavefront technology? All other technologies provide halos and co., right? What would make for less interference and the larger range and the better overall picture: mini-monovision with the Vivity or a bifocal lens?

I am very curious about your opinions and experiences, thank you very much! And all the best to you!

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Thankyou pascall111, how do you find the contrast and overall vision quality for example when you are watching TV or outdoors and looking at a scenic view in the distance, does the contrast and vision quality and sharpness look pity much the same or just as good as it was before you developed cataracts or is there a noticable drop in contrast and quality

• Edited

Hi John,

the visibility is outstanding!! Absolutely clear and bright. TV, reading, nature outside, driving already on the 2nd day - everything as good and clear as I have not known it for many years.

I also spent a long time worrying about lens selection, loss of contrast, close range, etc. My realization after the operation is now: Nothing gives you such a strong loss of vision and cloudiness as the cataracts.

I think we made it too complicated for ourselves here. After cataract surgery, you will not notice a loss of contrast, but a significant increase in contrast.

A big gain of the near vision (in my case I had aimed for some reading ability from 12 inches) by the targeted MiniMonovision I can not yet determine. - BUT: The fact that I have 2 clear lenses for the first time in 5 years significantly improves my combined close-up vision.

I can now read closer, smaller font compared to the one before the 2nd operation, with worse contrast. So definitely a win. Reading at 17 Inches is excellent. In good light (mobile phone) already at 12 inches. (and I don't have to adjust the phone so extremely bright anymore. I can now leave it much darker and still read well).

With all this, however, I still want to be cautious and cautious. When the lens grows into the capsule sac after about 3 weeks, everything becomes a little darker. Let's see how the development is then.

The statement of my surgeon, the now very well-known Ramin Khoramnia, direct colleague of the world-famous Gerd Auffarth, was something like that for him the Vivity is currently the best available lens model when it comes to avoiding halos with an extended visual range. And that he doesn't actually implant other Edofs etc anymore, but most of all the Vivity.

• Posted

Hi guys,

unfortunately I have problems after my 2nd operation. These began after about 10 days.

Background: 1st eye Vivity emmotropy, now 2nd eye Vivity -0.5D.

The first 5 days after the operation were good: crystal clear vision, from the 5th day as planned also more closeness. Better vision against the light and in low light.

But since about the 10th day, the view becomes blurred. The general visual values are good and I see clearly. But with the 2nd eye, the contours, regardless of the distance, are all a bit washed out. I recognize the scriptures, but it is washed out. As well as certain objects such as street signs etc. In addition, letters and numbers are grayed out and strokes go through the numbers/letters. As a result, the actually good overall picture is a bit shaky, restless...

On the 10th day I bumped my head a bit without noticing a direct change in visual acuity... can the lens have slightly decentred? What do you mean?

Thank you for your help and best regards!

• Posted

Hi Pascal,

How has your vision changed in your 2nd eye?

I am in a very similar situation as you, I am 34, and I have PSC in my right eye strongly and in my left eye mildly. I might go a similar way as you, only implanting a Vivity in my right eye, leaving my left, as it sees almost perfectly apart from some fog.

How was your vision, when you had the Vivty only on one side? Did it bother you to have different vision on two sides?

Thank you, and all the best!

• Posted

In addition: Last Thursday, my "normal" ophthalmologist said that everything looks good. The values were: 1st eye March 2020: spherical. +0.25, Cyl. -0.25

2nd eye February 2022: Spherical. -0.25, Cyl. -0,5

• Edited

l'm thinking of vivity , only thing that puts me off is the warning they give "

"Most patients implanted with the Vivity IOL are likely to experience significant loss of contrast sensitivity as compared to a monofocal IOL. Therefore, it is essential that prospective patients be fully informed of this risk before giving their consent for implantation of the Vivity IOL"

reading that makes me want to go with Eyhance instead to get better contrast but most of the people here with vivity say they dont have a problem with contrast, so l just cannot decide, vivity or Eyhance

• Edited

I have Vivity lenses in both eyes, done in January and February of 2022. My vision is so much brighter and clearer now compared to when I had cataracts, which were developing over the course of 3 or 4 years. Frankly, my best pre-cataract vision was so long ago that I cannot possibly compare anything about my current vision to that. All I can say is that I am very happy with my vision now, and if there is any contrast loss compared to a hypothetical perfect state, I don't know and I guess I don't care. I can read in fairly low light and I can drive at night.

• Posted

if you had to guess would you say your eyes with vivity lens and distance vision is just as good as it was 4 years ago before you had cataracts

• Edited

My vision is much better! However, it's a trick question, or rather a trick answer. I was always myopic, with a prescription probably never exceeding -3.0 D. For my IOLs, I chose to retain close reading ability and mini-monovision. My right eye is now -1.5 D and my left eye is -0.5 D (both Vivity).

Because of my left eye lens, I have better distance vision than I ever had in my whole life. I don't wear glasses indoors, I take walks around the neighborhood without glasses, and I have even driven to the grocery store without glasses as an experiment.

HOWEVER, glasses are necessary for the best distance vision (and best night vision). Correcting my right eye for distance improves the binocular vision, and my left eye vision can be sharpened up a bit.

I wonder whether some people who have had good distance vision their entire lives have tried glasses to see what their best vision could really be -- or whether they just accept what they have. I know people who have never gone to an optometrist because they see well and don't think about it. Nearsighted people, on the other hand, usually visit their optometrists regularly. So I think there is variability in what people consider to be acceptable distance vision -- good, good enough, or great.

• Edited

I'd do Vivity emmetropia. The first eye turned out well so I'd stick with that and not mess with an offset. Personally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.