First flare Length

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering typically how long your crohns / UC flare ups last and how long your first ever flare up lasted. Also has anyone ever been treated only with antibiotics and did they or did they not help symptoms?

Thank you!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Crohn's/UC are infllammatory conditions not bacterial infections so antibiotics will have no effect. Antibiotics taken for infections in other parts of the body can actually aggravate IBD.

I imagine most people's first attack lasted a long time if one takes into account the time leading up to the initial diagnosis and then getting the balance of meds right. I reflared almost straight away I believe because I was tapered off steroids too quickly.

I'm not sure how others measure the length of a flare. In my own experience, it's taken up to three months to get diarhhea and bleeding under control then another three to six months of slow steroid taper (depending on what dosage of steriods was needed) to get back to feeling normal. My last flare required hospitalisation for IV meds and lasted nine months from symptoms reoccurring to remission.

I was diagnosed in October 2015 and had to pretty much write off most of 2016 and 2017 with this horrible disease. However, I have now been in remission for fifteen months taking a daily dose of 2.4grams of Octasa 5ASA to keep nflammation under control.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle with this horrible disease. I'm in the midst of getting a diagnosis right now and this forum has helped me out so much.

All the best.

• Posted

My GP put me through two courses of anti-biotics to rule out a bacterial cause (mainly because my blood tests don't show the usual Crohn's / Colitis markers) before referring me for a colonoscopy. A colonoscopy is usually the only way to get a good diagnosis. Usual treatment is then steroids and anti-inflamatories to try and control it.

My first flare lasted approx 6 months, but was over within a day of steroid treatment.

Keep pushing your doctor if you're not seeing an improvement

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.