First gout attack?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been noticing some pain in my right big toe for a week or two, mostly when bending backwards as in squatting....over the weekend I did some shoveling (turning hard soil with lots of rocks) and also a lot of walking.  On Monday I started having more pain and by evening there was a visible lump on the side of my foot at the base of my toe. The last two days have been agony at work because of having to wear shoes.... I'm not 100% convinced it's gout but here's my question..... I virtually never drink pop, let alone pop with sugar... but something about the heat over the weekend made me crave root beer on ice, so between Saturday and Monday I indulged in 2 20 oz bottles and one slightly larger.  Oh oops and also a drink at a fast food..... Was also noticing at this time that urinary function seemed to be a bit weak, and just thought maybe something was causing me to need to hydrate more than I was doing. I'm seeing all over the place that sugary drinks can contribute but was wondering if anyone reading has found that something specifically about Root Beer seems to set it off?  Also-- is there any point to soaking in ice water? Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Firslty lack of urine is a sign of a problem so you should check this immiediatley with a doctor.

Second it sounds like gout - and the perfect time to get it is when it is hot. What you eat and drink (asumming the patient isnt an alcoholic or has the protein intake of a Bengal Tiger) has little to do iwth the disease - the majority is age and genetics....although lack of water or failing kidneys will give almost anyone gout.

As for is there any point in soaking the foot in cold water - YES! But others find hot water to be useful and some find mixing them both to help. I found that super hot did it for me, but I must say more seem to like the cold. 

To get rid of gout the reseach indicates you have to urinate (not consume) 2 litres and preferably 3 litres per day - that means drinking probably 3-4 litres of water a day. It also means spending a lot of time in the loo! I would repeat though - if you are urinating less than you think normal, get checked out. 

• Posted

Ice wrapped in something is good and you will find with gout attacks that any trauma to a joint such as your big toe will bring on an attack. Also what you drank would contribute to an attack, so the two combined together I would say it's gout. The only way your going to find out is a uric acid blood test.

• Posted

Note: wait fifteen days at least till after all symptoms gone before taking Utica acid blood test.
  • Posted

Thanks folks. The decreased urination was only for those 2 or so days prior to the onset of the foot/toe pain/swelling.  I'm forcing myself to drink more water than usual today. I typically don't go running to the doctor until I know it's necessary, so it would be a good long while until I got any tests.  I thought it might be a hair better when I woke up this morning but once I had to put shoes on and go to work it's just as bad.  3rd full day.

• Posted

So when you all notice an attack resolving.... do you notice it getting better in teh course of a day, or is it more like when you wake up in the morning?
    • Posted

I've had milder flair ups where I've woken up with gout and by the night time it's virtually gone, but also when this has happened the gout has come back with a vengeance and lasted for up to 6 weeks. I find now if I get an attack I keep really hydrated and the gout seems to go away more quickly. It is hard because you feel like you're forcing 2_3 litres of water a day into your body. There's no way I could drink that amount all the time.

• Posted

I don't really notice a flair resolving - it happens quite slowly. It does however resolve when I take colchecine - I suggest you get to a doctor and get some. Some gout attacks can go on for weeks or months.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.