First hospital appointment

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, I had my first hospital appointment yesterday after being diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism a few weeks ago.   Got my lab tests (T3 9.8, T4 21.9 and TSH 0.01).

Am being tested for Graves disease now.  Also she believes that this has now affected my eyes, which I believe it has too.  Over the last few weeks my vision has become really poor, also puffy eyes, watering eyes etc.   This is the bit I feel scared about.  I had a feeling she would say about my eyes.

If feel so scare with all this.  

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi! It's good you're getting tested. Even if you have problems with the eyesight now, if you start the treatment it should get better. They will get back to normal soon! Your T4 is also not so big, so this shouldn't take very long. 

It's scary and it sucks, but be glad you've discovered the problem and you're taking care of it. The eyes will go back to normal. You just need to take the meds, get regular check-ups. Perhaps seeing an optician would help - just to monitor how exophtalmic the eyes are, double vision (probably that's causing the blurryness) and get treatment for them too if necessary. My eyes were slightly bulging but got back to normal in a few months.

• Posted

Hi Molis

You are understandably scared, once you are established on treatment you symptoms will improve including your eyes.

Keep chatting on here with those who have understanding of what you are going through.

• Posted

It's better to know your diagnosis. Of course it frightens most of us, that is understandable. Try to take one day at a time and be an informed consumer so you will have any questions ready at your next doctor visit. No one can predict the future. I wish you good luck and peace of mind. I'm sorry I don't have anything more to offer you than that. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease so I totally understand the way you are feeling right now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.