First it was an ovarian cyst,now its IBS?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, really hope someone can help me!

A few years ago, I started having excruciating pain during my periods, sti test was negative, ultrasound showed nothing of concern. It lasted about a year and went away. 13 months ago I started getting the same trouble, again every test was negative, was told possible endometriosis and to monitor.

On dec 15th 2014, after my period I developed pain in my left abdomen, by my ovary. The pain got more severe, it felt like a knotting twisting pain, I had backache, hip pain, nausea, dizzyness and lightheaded ness. The pain kept increasing and I was referred to a ob/gyn and I paid privately to see him.

He examined me and told me he felt a cyst on my left ovary and my uterus was deviated to the right because of the cyst. I was referred for an urgent CA125 and ultrasound.

I had both, with the ultrasound being both internal and external. The results went back to my GP who told me that neither ovary could be seen.

During this time my pain had got a lot worse, it was very sudden and severe, making me feel like I was going to vomit or pass out, severe hip pain and all other previous symptoms. I also can't wear anything apart from leggings now, tight clothes cause the excruciating pain, as well as doing too much, ie I'm a hairdresser and after a few cuts I'm in agony, hence I'm not currently working for anyone and self employed to help this.

Today I had my appt with my ob/gyn. I felt that he couldn't give me any time. He wasn't interested in my symptoms or how severe the pain had become. He told me I have no gynae issue, after a very quick examination and have me IBS tablets? He had no reason as to where the supposed cyst has gone. I saw him on the NHS this time, instead of private and I feel that he was annoyed by that and gave me the tablets just to get me out of his hair as I can't afford to pay.

Has anyone been told they have a cyst before and then told actually they didn't and had IBS? I'm so confused!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Vicki

Sorry to hear you have been suffering so badly, and I feel so cross that you have been treated so poorly, though frankly I'm not surprised, I've experienced this myself and also heard many other women's stories!

Firstly it is possible for cysts to come and go. However the ultrasound that you have had did not even see your ovaries so how they can then say there is no cyst is beyond me. External ultrasounds are not too good at seeing ovaries they can be hidden, but internal is usually better. The best way is to have a laproscopy. This will enable them to find the problem and if you do have endometriosis they can treat it at the same time. I think you should look to have this but sounds as though you need to change GP first (female probably best!) and if possible get a referral to a different gynae (maybe at a different hospital?)

Don't accept the IBS fob off that they seem to give us all, IBS does not give constant pain.

Hope this helps

Louise x

• Posted

Hi Louise,

Thankyou so much for your reply. I don't understand why us women get fobbed off so much! I thought it may have something to to do with my age, I'm 25 in April, but it seems to happen to everyone. Despite having problems they still won't do a smear until after my birthday, they keep saying it's too early!!!

When I first saw my gynae, and paid privately, he told me it was possible that I would need to have a laparoscopy to remove the cyst. Now there is no explanation for that.

He also told me to continually take my contraceptive pill with no break to eliminate the severe pain I get during my period. Whilst this may cause the pain not to appear it's not finding the problem and I don't know if I'm too happy with not having a period at all, it's not natural!

My main problem is that my partners mum and stepdad work with my gynae at the hospital and recommended me to him as he is the best. He also has bent over backwards to squeeze me in at short notice, so I am thankful for that. He also runs the main gynae ward in the two closest hospitals! I will try a week on these pills for ibs, and go see my GP!

Vicki x

• Posted

Vicki

Hi ok let us know how you get on at the GP. I think endometriosis is going to be the problem here but it can take years to diagnose I think mainly due to doctors reluctance with younger people especially to do investigation 😁. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hello Vicki

I am 64 yeasrs old now so stopped my periods a long time ago. However I do remember they were always very painful. No experience of a cyst though.

Hope this settles down for you

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

Yes, I think endometriosis too, although he said that the ca125 showed no suggestion of it. I received a letter from him yesterday discharging me, and talking about how to rectify my bowel problems. I'm a bit concerned as I wasn't aware that I had any bowel issues! I'm starting to think they've mixed up my notes with someone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.