First Kidney Stone! Help.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all it started with minimal pain last wednesday but by Saturday morning I felt like i was dying. Excruciating pain on the left side flank, back, to abdomen. Decided to go to the ER on Sunday where they gave me a shot in the but to calm the pain. Had a ct scan done and the results were a 5mm stone on the right side. I was given Tarodol and Tramadol. That night I came home and threw up bout 16 times. What a horrific experience. So now here we are and im still in pretty intense pain on the left and now have some pain on the right kidney. The pain is not shooting and jabbing anymore but i feel a lot of pressure and pain especially if i try to bend down or move to quick.

Several questions. If the stone is on the right side why am I having all the pain on the left? Has anyone ever heard of this or experienced this? Second how long do people normally feel pain from stones? its been about a week for me.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

With my first stone..the pain was so intense I , also thought I was dying. The pain was beyond belief. I wonder why they sent you home without blasting the stone with lithotripsy? Eventually the pain should recede. I have no answer about why you feel pain on the other side. Maybe there are stones thre as well. I do know that stones can "flare-up" and they travel. Thats whenI feel the most pain. I think you should follow up with a urologist asap and discuss a treatment . Nothing more painful than stones! Good luck and keep us informed

• Posted

I've passed about 7 or 8 within the past 10 years. The pain is a distinguished kind of pain, I usually know when one is coming on. I recommend you drink tons of water so you can pass it on your own. Yours is a good size it could take some time or it could possibly just stay put. When I know it has moved to my bladder, I start to feel this intense pressure, like I have a UTI. The dr gave me flomax and Macrobid to help with passing them. Good luck, this is not a great club to be member of. Increase your water and evaluate your diet. I had to cut out pop completely.

• Posted

What you are describing is a typical kidney stone.   The pain and vomiting are typical.  I have also had stones on one side with pain on the other, not unusual.

Since it’s 5mm they think it has a chance to pass on its own.  The probability is 50%.  As a veteran of this I would have them go in an take it out.  However everyone is different and the ability to pass stones of various sizes is also  a bit different for different people. Drinking water (1 gallon per day minimum) is a good idea but does not guarantee anything.  Depending on shape and location of stone you might just wind up washing it.  But it can’t hurt to try.

The pain may go away entirely for a while as the stone moves and allows liquid to pass.  This can go on for weeks and then come back.

Heating pads on lower back help the pain.

Good luck!

• Posted

I'm just worried because I still feel pain and it's been about a week. Is that normal? Today I feel like I can barely walk. Laying down feels much better.

• Posted

The pain can go on and off for weeks.  And yes it can be extremely painful.  In my experience painkillers including opioids don’t do much.
  • Posted

I have a question everyone. Im having severe pain again it only backs off a bit when I lay down. I have an appointment scheduled with a urologist today but should I just go to the hospital instead? I'm in a lot of pain. I can barely stay on my feet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.