First meeting with Gastro Consultant

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, everyone. Having been diagnoses as having Gallstones by my G.P. following a CT scan, I have an appointment at hopsital next week with a Gastroenterology Consulatant. Please can you tell me what is likely to happen at the appointment and if i need to make any preparations. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Assuming you are in the UK, the consultant will usually look at your results and options - remove gallbladder or keep it and monitor how it goes are the main options.

?They will sometimes ask you a few more questions and you can ask them any you are unsure of. If they suggest removal, they should runs through all the pros and cons and risks, side effects etc. It is always your decision if you go for surgery, they can only advise. If you opt for surgery, you may be asked to sign a form of consent and to say you understand everything, then they would add you to the waiting list and call you in at some stage for a check up to make sure you are fit and healthy enough for surgery called a pre-op for short. Now wating lists and times of having the pre-op vary immensely between NHS hospitals. So that is one question you can ask about.

?I had my consult last Feb, was told waiting time of 3 months but still no op! Lots of cancelled dates and a move to a different surgeon's list to no avail!! But my case is unusual and most prople are waiting less time than me.

?Taking a list of questions is probably the best prep you need at this time, maybe if you are curious, look up some info on the operation, but take care not to scare yourself unecessarily. I love to know everything and am an info person but not everyone is!

Best of luck and be sure to post back how you got on.

• Posted

Hi, Elizabeth!

Cynthia gave you some great advice! My only additional suggestion is to take someone with you, if you can, and ask them to pay attention to the discussion, so that they can fill in the blanks.  Sometimes, discussing surgery, or the prospect of it, is distressing.  (At least it was for me.) Having someone with you to support you can help you to remember what goes on!  In these types of meetings they may provide printed material, but may not give you enough time to write down their answers to your questions.

Just wanted to chip in and wish you the best!  Please let us know what you decide and how you get on!

• Posted

Good idea, Lynda, I always forget that you could take someone as I rarely do that! Workoholic husband so used to going things alone I guess.

?I was interviewed by the Patien't Association today about my case history by the way!!  It won't make any difference to my wait now, but maybe help others in the future though. Take care x

• Posted

Hi, Cynthia,

I went to my appointments for my gallbladder by myself, too.  I had been so sick with bile salt malobsorption, but my husband at that time was travelling lots.  We're both retired now.  When I went to see the surgeon, it was 95 degrees and I got across the huge parking lot by leaning against a parked vehicle every so often.  Couldn't eat and go out, if you know what I mean.  I don't think he understood what I was going through.  

The company I worked for advanced me 80 hours of sick leave.  A fellow  employee donated 40 to me, and I paid the rest off at 4 hours per month.  I was very lucky, I could have lost my job.

I'm glad to learn of the interview, but sorry that it won't make any difference for your wait now!  

Please let me know how you get on! xx 

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth..

I had my gallbladder out 2 days ago. The first meeting with GP was to do Endoscope, and Colonoscopy. My doctor suggested these due to my age (over 50). Yours may or may not, may depend on your age and diagnosis. I had 2 polyps. They removed them. Everything else was fine. Next was the HIDA Scan. This test reveals working function of your gallbladder. The HIDA revealed gallbladder working only at 20 percent, which is considered non functioning. (I did have Ultrasound, which revealed no stones, and the CT also showed nothing important.). During my surgery they found my gallbladder somehow attached to the stomach wall. It was infected and enlarged. I do not regret the decision for removal. They removed mine laperoscopic, surgery was about an hour due to my strange position of gallbladder. I was told, normal time 30 to 45 minutes. Since the surgery I took only 1 pain pill (a morphine derivative)...I am mostly sore, and usually take 800 mg if Ibuprophen about 3 times a day, just to nip the soreness. I have zero pain, just sore. I have a bottle of the morphine derivative, but I don't need it. I am walking, I had to drive once, on the second day, due to my daughters crown on her tooth came off, but I wouldn't recommend doing that too soon. Don't tell my doctor! Your doctor may not recommend the extensive path I went, due to my gallbladder not having stones, so don't worry, nothing I did testing wise, was painful or difficult. I will admit I was pleased with choosing surgery, as I am a firm believer that a person should keep all their parts!.. Don't worry, you will be fine. It is not as bad as one tends to think. Keep us posted on your progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.