First MRI - advice needed

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have recently volunteered to participate in a university study and part of this assessment involves a functional MRI (fMRI) scan to view my brain function while performing certain tasks. Having never had an MRI before I have a few questions that the hospital haven't yet answered.

Firstly - does the table/bed move while the scan is being performed? I have had a CT scan before and obviously the bed moves through the tunnel while the machine is spinning around. I always thought when you are put in the MRI bore the table doesn't move until you come back out again but from searching the web it seems there are slight movements of the table throughout the scan - or is this for full body imaging? I would have a slight concern over parts/machinery moving while no one else is in the room.

Secondly I'm aware the machine is very loud with certain sequences being louder than others - can anyone say which sequences will be the loudest i.e. T1/T2, DTI, gradients etc? I asked about hearing protection and the clinic said they will provide headphones with music piped in to "drown out the scanner" - but this is only for the first and last scans as these are both "clinical" (i.e. structural) scans. The radio will then be turned off for the functional part of the test as they say its too much of a distraction but in my mind the noise of the scanner will be much more distracting and if the radio is off then I may as well not have the headphones on at all. For this reason I was thinking of bringing my own foam ear plugs - is this a good idea or not? They are non-metallic therefore I am thinking they will not be pulled out by the machine. But then also I was thinking these might interfere with the image quality being in close vicinity to the brain - am I right in this thinking?

Lastly - the patient information leaflet says the test takes over 2 hours in total but the hospital says I will only be in the scanner for about 50 minutes - which is more reasonable?

And very lastly - the bore of the machine is quite small and I'm told the "roof" of the machine will be quite close to my face (as well as wearing the head coil); I'm aware the machine vibrates occasionally - would I be able to see any of these vibrations if I look at the roof?

I'm not claustrophobic but apparently even for the bravest of volunteers this can be quite an ordeal, but then I've also heard others can sleep thorough them!

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

R

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What strength of machine are they using? 1.5T or 3T? Some research facilities have stronger, too, IIRC.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

The machine used by the facility is a 3 Tesla Philips Achieva - does the extra strength in comparison to a 1.5T mean the machine will be louder?

The facility have said they will supply foam ear plugs so this is now slightly less of a concern. I am hoping these will take the edge off the noise enough for me to concentrate on the tests I'm supposed to be doing enough for them to get usable data.

Thanks,

R.

• Posted

They give you ear plugs. 

Another sound you may hear is a banging. 

• Posted

I've had 1.5 T MRI and 3T MRI. Noise level was the same. 

Remember not to overthink this. Can lead to worrying.

Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.