first night on citalopram, insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi started citalopram last night for first time was tired before I took the pill then when tried to get to sleep and couldnt..Usually sleep very well..If this is how its going to be im throwing these things away..Please tell me it will settle down..Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I stopped taking these as i have had the same problem. Mind you i have had 4 months of having just an hour or two's sleep a week, wish it was not true but it is!

I threw these down the sink the other day as after 10 days of them i felt awful and no improvement in sleep.

Yours may well be psychological but if you have doubts then the doubts will only get worse so maybe try something else.

I would not want to put anyone off of taking these but since me starting them i have had the worst anxiety i have ever had in my life and with no respite due to no sleep i had to get rid of them!!

Good luck, keep in touch if you need too!!

• Posted

I'm on 20mg and it's my 4th day now and it hasn't been too bad, my GP told me to take them on a morning which is what I'm doing.

I'm going to continue with the whole course because I hear they don't even start to work until a couple of weeks in.

• Posted

I've been on these since January this year and also take them in the morning and although I still do not sleep through the night every night I have a low dose sleeping tablet I can take to give me a good nights sleep once in a while.

You have to take the tablets for sometime before \"feeling\" better and I was beginning to feel a lot better when I lost my Mum and so I'm back down again, but know the tablets will help me get through this period and hopefully I'll be able to come off them sometime next year.

Please carry on taking the tablets and anly stop taking them with the help of your GP.

Jane

• Posted

hi, it can be a common side effect and does usually settle. when i first started taking it it was hard,the anxiety level was through the roof and i couldnt sleep but it has settled,my sleeping is back to normal and im starting to have some good days,ive got a way to go but im am feeling much better, but you do have to be patient,its not overnight but it really does work. its my second time taking this medication and i can honestly say it has helped me to turn my life around,you have to be pro active,i really hope u fel the benefits soon :D
  • Posted

Thanks for your advice guys..I didnt take one last night.. slept for 8 hours. result!!! took half of 20mg which was 10mg and feel ok so far..the only thing I have noticed is that my fingers are really itchy,weird!!! hope everyone is safe and well...xxx
  • Posted

Hey dream girl....I didn't sleep the entire first night (nor much after the first 4 days) and normally have no troubles sleeping, it was horrific because I had a big international trip to take the following day and had to be mindful of my little ones....it continued for days and like you I decided to skip a night to get some sleep and It progressively got better after two weeks I only take 10mgs a day and in the morning and I'm now sleeping through the night, though seem to be sweating at night despite the window being open...it gets better, and already some of the tasks I found to be an absolute chore are rolling right off my back without bother...stick with it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.