First Night on Lithium

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

Tonight is my first night in taking Lithium and i am extrmeemly nervous and anxious about the side effects i may suffer. I know not everyone experieces the same side effects but what was everyones first night like? how did they feel, did it affect there sleep etc ? 

Kind Regards

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I don't take lithiam I have quetiapine an anti-psychotic. I think taking any meds can be a bit daunting at first. Mine actually helped me sleep. I don't know if this helps but stick with it and good luck.
  • Posted

Hi,

I've been taking Lithium for 7 years and it's worked very well for me. Unfortunately, I don't remember if there were side effects at first. I agree with Fab that taking new meds or switching is daunting. I never read the printout on side effects, just tuck it away and bring it out if something shows up.

I had a choice of mood stabiliers and selected Lithium for it's track record. Lithium has been used for 40 years, so there's alot of available info on it. You probably know that at first you will need to have regular bloodwork to assertain the lithium level where you want it.  I'm in a study right now for weight loss and I need to have bloodwork every two weeks, in case the loss is changing the lithium level.

A side effect for many people on Lithium (and a number of anti-psychotics) is a weight gain - check that out online. It's not a bad as some meds but help to know in advance. I'm in my 60's, and have ME/CFS which limits my activies, it may not be a problem for you. 

Good luck. Give the med some time to work - there are lots of other choices and combinations of drugs if Lithium doesn't agree with you. 

Be well,   Karin

• Posted

Hello Fab and Karin,

I took my first Lithium last night and it went OK. Went alittle dizzy, and a bit giggly, then fell asleep, and suprizingly I feel quite awake this morning so I think i slept well. 

Yes I have heard about peoples craving to eat more food on these medications, contributing to weight gain, I will have to watch what I eat, however I am in the transition of becoming Vegan so most of my food is not fattenning.

However this morning I have a dry mouth and thirsty, but only a minor side effect. Will update again tonight to how my 2 nd night goes smile

thank you smile

• Posted

Hi,Lithium has saved me from a life that was getting out of control and given me mental stability,calm and a life with my family that i could have lost last year.I was very wary of the meds at first but once i gained confidence in them and my blood test results reflected that i was on the right dose everything got better and better.I suffer fine finger tremors sometimes esp mornings and although i have gained some weight i am keeping at a stable level by doing 2x30mins at a gym !!!! Don't like going but feel its a two-pronged attack at my bi-polar mental as well as physical.Don't be too quick to see results,I could see the benefits from about 2-3months onwards then there was a bit of tweeking of dosages.I wish you the best of luck.
  • Posted

Dear Cinderela80, I have been on Lithium and a small dose of Olanzipine for nearly two years now.  I have found that although I still have depressions, they are not nearly as destructive as in the past.  As for mania, I had a little blip over the Easter period.  In the past I might have welcomed feeling high but this time, with the support of family and friends I was able to nip it in the bud.  I did this by contacting my care co-ordinator, who in turn discussed the situation with my consultant and she upped the olanzipine dose.  I have been sectioned more times than I care to remember and am determined to A) keep out of hospital and B) try my hardest to lead a productive life.  You have been on Lithium a while now and I sincerely hope it is helping you.
    • Posted

Hi Clare,just read your post and relieved to hear of someone else trying to curtail the high of a high if that makes sense ! and relieved that when you asked for help both personally and professionally it all appeared to help get you back on a more stable footing.Sending you lots of luck and Best Wishes Lynne
    • Posted

Dear Lynne, Thank you for your post. It took me a long time and a lot of heartache, chaos and multiple hospital admissions to realise that lithium was the way forward.  I still get depressed but have been lucky enough to be offered councelling in CBT and mindfulness techniques.  I also try to keep active physically, as you obviously do.  I am lucky enough to have a garden which takes up a lot of time; I write; am a member of a community choir and I volunteer once a week at a group for people suffering from Multiple Sclerosis.  My husband said that he was so relieved, when I felt myself going high at Easter, that he could talk to me about his concerns without me jumping down his throat!  Lynne, if you wish to share, what is your story?  I am hoping that Cinderela 80 is fairing well and you too, of course.
  • Posted

Hi I was very nervous too when I first took it, but it barely registered.  As the dose increased I got really thirsty and now have to monitor my water intake not too high but not too low.  Everyone is a bit different though, so hope it goes well.
  • Posted

This is also my first night on lithium. I took it an hour ago and so far all I feel is thirsty and calm! A little more sleepier than usual but it's tolerable. I'll update in the morning. smile

• Posted

Good luck on your first night on Lithium. I've been on it for 8 years with very few negative effects. I plan on continuing on Lithium, as it works very well for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.