First one👍🏻.

Posted , 6 users are following.

6 weeks & 2 days post op...having my first lager in 8 weeks! Cheers everyone, and stay safe👌🏼

Jacob

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hey Jacob cheers to you. Enjoy that lager. You earned it! So glad you are doing well and that you got your surgery before all this craziness started. Stay healthy.

• Edited

Wow Jacob gad you are doing awesome and past your first 6 weeks! What is first lager in 8 weeks?

• Posted

For all the new members reading this, I must admit my choice to have the surgery was easy. Prior to my first known flare/hospitalization for my DD uncomplicated microperforation I had awful stomach/intestinal cramping for the 18 months prior. I likely was having multiple flares, but not really bad enough to send me to A&E. My first hospitalization I had a fever of 102.5 f (for my American folk). Long story short my pain never really went away. I had three more trips to A&E, followed by a 2nd hospitalization 2 months later. That's two 5 day hospital stays, with 3 separate trips to A&E between hospital stays. I was terrified since I was a Leukeamia survivor so I opted for the elective surgery asap. It was done 12/02/2020--Feb 12th for you non Brits. I know we say and type things differently so i wanted to be clear🤣. The recovery is still at times painful. I'm just now off opiate pain tablets. If you do the surgery get in your mind this is a tear recovery. I don't give a toss what others say it will take that long to get close back to normal. All in all I'm very glad I did it. Do not live in pain. If you are back in the UK and the NHS is hesitant to sanction your resection go private insurance for a bit if your finances allow it. I know if I was back home wouldve fought tooth and nail to get it done. Side note: I was dairy intolerant for my first month post op. Also anything chocolate or sweet will send you to the loo in record time. Avoid those items as long as they are upsetting you. Another issue I wasn't told about was the seroma I developed under my largest incision. That's a sterile build up of fluid by the way--harmless. I bought a heating pad and put it on my incision every 30 minutes for 15 minutes. It's now 99% gone. Lastly, if you have a choice opt to have your resection with the Divinci Xi robot. I cannot stress this enough. Small incisions, less recovery time, all around better. I watched around 100 videos of physicians using this robotic surgery on YouTube prior to my surgery. At first it terrified me, but then I became fascinated with the science. It's simply amazing to be honest👌🏼👌🏼.

I'm not at all on a high fiber diet as my stomach still grumbles after eating each meal. I started eating salads and raw veggies last week. So far so good. Realistically, I think I'll be implementing fiber quite slowly starting with metamucil and bran cereal. It's quite hard to get 35 mg of fiber a day without looking at every food label🤔. Almost forgot, I lived on healthy pancakes and waffles post surgery. Simply use egg whites instead of the whole egg. White pasta and cooked spinach also went down well. Unlike others my system has no issue with tomatoes. Many of you lot have issues with this...thankfully I didn't.

PS: I met with 4 surgeons prior to picking one. This is extremely important as these docs are an odd bunch. In my honest opinion they've all got a bit of the G-d complex. If I met with a surgeon who seemed uninterested I moved on. I wasn't going to put myself in a situation where my caretaker didn't give a rat's arse about me, and you shouldn't either!

Stay safe everyone👌🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.