First panic attack in years: the fallout

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all.

I type this with years in my eyes. So last Saturday I was driving my car and as I pulled into my street and car park, I started to grab at my chest and felt a deep pressure. I then couldn't feel my heartbeat. I managed to get out of the car safely but at this point I was on the floor panicking I was dying or having a heart attack. For the next 2 hours I was on my kitchen floor completely spiralling out of control. I was convinced I was a goner.

Too cut a long story short, I basically ended up in A&E. I was still in full panic mode. 7 hours later I was seen. I have blood test done and heart trace machine attached , all back back fine and then a chest x Ray later which also came back fine.

Now here I am 4 days later and I'm still a mess. I'm living in complete fear of having another panic attack constantly and still worried about my heart even though I've been told it's fine. This is crippling me and I'm not even really living.

I've had panic attacks before, many years ago but this one was really significant.

I am also scared to drive due to the fear of having another attack.

Does anyone have any tips or support for a situation like this.

ps. I am waiting to get an appointment with my GP to no luck yet.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Adam

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

I know how horrible panic attacks are. Sorry you are going through this. Keep in mind that your heart is fine even if you have another panic attack. The adrenaline rush doesn’t hurt the heart. your heart was checked out so that’s good.

with panic attacks there is an underlying anxiety. Have you ever considered speaking with a counselor or therapist to help you manage this and possibly resolve some of the anxiety that is underneath. That would help calm things down.

what I do every day is completely relax my mind and body once or twice by listening to meditations on YouTube for panic or anxiety. they just really tone everything down and I especially like listening just before I fall asleep. if I’m feeling especially anxious during the day I will listen at that time also.

don’t spend the day ruminating in your head about panic. That’s one of the worst things you can do because what we focus on and think about actually increases.

try to stay busy and out of your head.

but I think you could most likely use some support right now. You can talk to family, friends or a counselor. I do hope you feel better soon hang in there and take one day at a time.

• Posted

i would go to a and e if no better. you meed some hlep with meds and therapy. good luck

• Posted

I'm sorry you're going through this. Fortunately, you're in the right place because we've all been there or are currently there. I'm currently there. I have frequent attacks in a vehicle because like you, I had a bad attack while in a vehicle and now, I'm consumed with anxiety at the mere thought of getting into a car for this reason. I'm still doing it. I'm still getting in a car & going places because I refuse to let this control my life. I push through the panic and I might struggle and it might be mentally and physically uncomfortable but each time you get into that car & push through, you're overcoming it a little more and more. Music can help. Put something on the radio that you can sing along to. I've found this helps me more than anything. If I'm feeling panicky, I'll sing along and before I know it, I've worked myself down off of an attack. You have to find things to focus your attention on. Don't give in and don't give up. Doing that will only make it worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.