First physio

Posted , 8 users are following.

First physio session since tkr on 18h April and I thought I was

doing really well but have been told to slow down and rest more

so as to give the inner stitches time to heal. Thought I was getting back to normal but feel as though i'm going backwards. This

is definitely a long slow road.x

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

It is slow Joan but you will be ok in the end.  Listen to your body.
  • Posted

Oh my goodness Joan you're still a newbie to this, it's not even 3 weeks. You really do need to listen to them and slow down. I know there are mixed signals as we are told that a TKR is different from any other operation as we have to work hard to get the best results. However, we do still need to give our bodies chance to heal.

You need to still do some exercises but certainly don't do too much. Remember to ice and rest as much as exercise.

I did have problems in the first month with internal stitches piercing the skin. I had to keep getting these trimmed down, it wasn't pleasant. I hadn't given them a second thought prior to that.

Easier said than done but just be patient x

• Posted

You have done very well so far, but probably best to heed the advice.  Keep up the exercises, but go easier on everything else.

you'll have seen several of us saying that we suddenly hit a bad point at some stage, so don't be too hard on yourself.

• Posted

Hi Joan

I am a week behind you and worry it's my physio next week and that I haven't done enough!

Take this as an opportunity to go steady, would rather be safe than sorry, and at least it's not like having to be in the position to have to start pushing yourself.

What's that old saying - something about a tortoise and a hare! lol

Sue x

• Posted

never a truer word,   sometimes it feels like a road to nowhere, I use the support of this group to get me through.. all we want to do is get our lives back on track , I guess its sometimes hard to see the bigger picture, hang on in there
  • Posted

Hi, I'm only 9days post op, on partial knee, was bone on bone, my other one is in a worse state apparently , so that gets done in 3or4months, . I think I'm doing ok, having first physcio in 6days, I am doing the exercise they sent me home with, plus the little bit of walking, but the one exercise I don't seem to be able to do at all is leg flat on bed, bend other knee, then raise operated leg , . I think they put lead in mine, do you think this is normal,. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I did have an accident 5days post op, fell, not on to knee, but bent operated leg as far as you can bend any leg, hurt like hell, . They do know about it , and have seen me , as it bled a bit. But I am wondering if may be that's why I can't lift it at all, as I could in hospital day 3 only tiny bit . Any thoughts?
    • Posted

Hi Mandy

I lifted my leg in hospital, then had a panic attack when I got home and couldn't get my leg up onto the bed.

Also I couldn't lift it an inch off the bed, so I started by slowly locking my knee and raise toes towards you whilst laying flat on the bed.Then try first moving your leg sideways and then back next with a slight lift to the side.

I felt the movement which then I tried lifting up ready for the leg lift, But it didn't come till the second week.

I am now 16 days and doing 15 leg raisers.

It is amazing how the penny will suddenly drop and your body catches on

Please believe in yourself and try and forget the fall unless you are feeling a pain that you know is not right, then please ring your nurse for advice.

Sue x

• Posted

Ah thanks sue, I know the hospital said it was ok, but I have been so worried, thought ide messed it up before I have even started, have to use the handle of my walking stick to get leg on to bed, and by bed time , can't even do that for my self. So desperate to get other one done as well, . I was down to not being able to walk more than 50 mergers before this first knee, and so you can imagine how other knee is not coping. I'm 54, and I really miss my life. All this is just so depressing
    • Posted

I don't think I would have managed without this site, I has helped me so much, don't be afraid to ask and post any fears you might have, so many people on here have so much experience and I have kept any depression at bay by reading everybody's  posts, usually in the middle of the night!  

Sue x 

• Posted

And it is so depressing, I no it is a big surgery, even half a knee, , but I have had several other surgery s  you, but never a joint, and where as you usually rest, you have to do almost do the opposite with this,, I'm sat here at mo, purchased on sette edge, don't no if I should sit , stand ,lay, nothing seems to help to day, may tomorrow will be better😊
    • Posted

Mandy everything you're experiencing is perfectly normal. Keep coming on this site. I can't emphasise enough how much of a life saver it is.

I was in hospital for 9 days (my op was a bit more complicated than normal) but I still couldn't lift my leg on its own for about 3 weeks. It was so heavy, when I lifted it off the bed it would pull the rest of me with it. Now at 11 weeks post op it seems so long ago.

I am still struggling with other parts of the leg so still using crutches outside the house but the knee is generally good.

I know it's important to get the leg moving with your exercises but remember to ice and rest too. Also drink plenty of water.

Just try to lift the leg bit by bit. Try not to stress. It will get there I promise x

• Posted

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better, they give you all this phisco but don't seem to be very clear on how much you should expect and how soon.i do have a dendency to push to hard, in most cases that's a good thing, but I'm thinking this is a different kettle of fish.i need to lower my expectations a bit😔 I think.
    • Posted

I was 11 days post op before I could raise my leg I kept trying and it just happened
    • Posted

Oh right so3 or 4 more days and I might manage it , it's silly, isn't it , you wouldn't think you'd miss something so normal, so lucky really, people are a lot worse off. Glad they can't here me winging on , and being so impatient 😏
    • Posted

This site is a good place to have a whinge as everyone knows what you are going through and you get some good advice
    • Posted

Yes , I already feel so much better than I did yesterday , thanks to all of you, so thank you, I thought I was going to randomly cry for ever😭
    • Posted

here here ! we all stress over the leg lifting , My physio showed me an actual prosthesis and I was gob smacked at how heavy it was, so with that and the fluid of the swelling no wonder I couldnt lift my leg..It did come eventually, but even now at 6 week my leg feels very heavy, I just remind myself that it feels heavy because it is heavy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.