First physio today.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis and the pseudomonas virus in December 2016 and was told I would get a physio appointment to help me learn how to clear my lungs.

After waiting 4 months and still no sign of an appointment, I went private and saw an excellent physiotherapist today.

She showed me the various breathing/coughing exercises and I tried them several times of course. She also showed me the Acapella device, which I could certainly feel would help. The good news is that it's now available on prescription, so she wrote a letter to my GP, asking her to prescribe it to me. Up until recently, it has apparently not been available on prescription, but at a cost of £50.

Because I'm on steroids for an autoimmune illness and bruise very easily, she didn't want me to do any cupping on my lungs with my hands, but thought the Acapella would be a great alternative.

Of course, she also suggested taking as much exercise as I can manage, keeping it realistic so that I stick with it.

Here's hoping things are going to get better!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi susanne im waiting to see physo myself but not herd owt as yet im like u thinking of going private only things is i cant excercise with arthrites angina other things as well as broncheisis so im linited to wat i can do but i may ask my GP for one of them Acapella see what they say ope u feel better after using it thanks for advice
    • Posted

Tony, the physiotherapist will go through your medical history first and take into account what you can and can't do.

Hope you get an appointment soon.

• Posted

Yes it's important to do those lung cleanings every day and not just once a day. Those acapella devices you can boy online at a lower price. Also the neb along with those new medals before the acapella will loosen gunk up so it's easier to get up and out 

• Posted

Hell Mizsusyq

You say in your text to susanne that you use a neb along with acapella, could you tell me about the neb  please.  thsank you

• Posted

Hi Marion. Yes I use three different liquids in my nebulizer daily. My new lung doc said I could use combine two of them but one is not to be mixed with others. One of them is to help thin out the mucus so it's a bit easier to cough up and so it doesn't clog up like a cork. One is a saline solution which the lungs are supposed to absorb. These two can be mixed togethe. There is something about salt that is supposed to be helpful to lungs. I also have "The Vest". This is used twice daily.  This machine vibrates your chest area as if you are coughing a hundred times or more per minute. This is to shake mucus loose. You can do your nebulizer while doing this treatment. When you use your acapella device, you must use it correctly. You do it on your back while being propped up not flat. Then while laying on each side. A therapist can show you correct way to use this device and its very important to use correct breathing technique. You have to turn device correct way in each position. I also now take mucusionex twice daily and Singulair one before bed. Below is my nebulizer medicine that I use.

1. Acetylecsteine 20% Solution 3ml three times per day

2. Sodium Chloride Solution 7% 3 or 4 ml three times per day

The above two can be used together. The first must be used by so many hours after opening and kept in frig after opening. The second one comes in 4 ml size and once it is opened can not be saved so doc said to go ahead and use the whole 4 ml

3. Ipratropium Bromide and Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation Solution 3 ml 1 vial in morning and once in pm. And as needed in between every 6-8 hours..NO more than 4 times a day.This can not be mixed with any other nebulizer and comes in little plastic vials and once you actually open the foil coated pouch all other vials must be kept in this foil coated pouch. 

And I always have a supply of antibiotics on hand that I even take while traveling. My doc makes sure I have a Rx on hand so I'm never without.

i hope this helps. I've fought this disease since 2009 and haven't had a visit to the hospital (yet).

• Posted

Thank you so much for all that information very informative. I will discuss with my doctor. Thank you again
  • Posted

Hi Susanne so glad to hear you went private for Physio although it doesn't seem right that we pay into NHS it's part of life. I'm sure you will feel much better after doing the exercises. I work from home so I wasn't getting exercise. Computer to settee ! I eventually bought a puppy which forces me to take her out for a walk twice a day I can't walk fast because of my breathing, but hey I'm moving. I wish you all good wishes. This disease needs positive thinking There are days when I don't feel like going for a walk but with a dog I get out there

• Posted

Hi Marion. I gave up work two years ago due to ill health (not the bronchiectasis, but autoimmune illness), so have been at home too. I paint and have a couple of exhibitions/fairs coming up, but have been so fatigued that I've spent far too much time on the sofa, getting little exercise. I'm hoping the breathing exercises will help me get some sort of exercise plan started.

Getting a dog is a great idea, but it wouldn't be for me.

• Posted

Hi susanne,  of course a dog is not for everyone.  its my first dog.  Its good that you have an interest though.  I must say though no matter how tired you fell, a bit of fresh air does the wordl of good.  I think you'll find after being able to clear your chest ou will feel clearer .  When you cant breathe well  it makes you very tired and lacklustre.

i really hope you will feel better after your physio an lung clearance kicks in

• Posted

Thanks Marion. I'm definitely going to be taking some, gentle to start with, walks and now the weather is so much nicer, it's the perfect time. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.