First pilondial sinus surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

After weeks of doctors visits and trips to A&E with severe back/tailbone pain I was diagnosed with a pilondial abscess and sent for incision and drainage surgery which took place on 13/1/18. Now, a month and a half on my wound has had no change and remains around 5cm deep. I have been given two sets of antibiotics since and my nurses have said the wound looks clean and healthy so are unsure why it is not healing properly. Is it normal for the wound to have not even began healing yet? I’m off work/uni so spend most of my time relaxing to allow healing better but it’s getting extremely frustrating seeing no end to the daily painful dressing changes. Has anyone experienced this? Is there any steps I could take to speed up the healing process? 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do not worry much, it is quite normal for deep wounds to start healing slowly. Dressing changes will hurt for first 4-5 weeks at max, after which it shouldn't hurt much. I had surgery twice, the first time, wound failed to heal, this was because of fistula, my second surgery was a success, but it took almost 60 days for the wound to close to about 90%. The fistula recurred, I have been advised to do an ultra sound scan, and then a minor surgery to remove the fistula, after which the wound should heal. Just make sure to check with your doctor for any underlying cause which might be slowing down your healing unnecessarily. Make sure you are not straining your wound, by sitting for long hours, etc.

• Posted

Thank you, I’ve been told the wound and surrounding skin looks healthy but there’s still been no change and no signs of healing I’m just completely fed up of it now! sad 
  • Posted

Hello, I’m not trying to be negative but that’s all I can be now. I had my first op for the same thing in 2016, I have now had 5 ops on the wound and due for a 6th op tomorrow. Mine has never healed, it’s been 2 and a half years. I came on this forum page to seak somebody who went down the solicitors route as I am currently in the process of deciding. I have lost so much income and lost out on a lot of things. I hope yours is no were near this rubbish 
    • Posted

It’s definitely hard to stay positive through this!! It’s been 4 months now and still no change in the depth of the wound so my consultant is referring me for more surgery. I really hope this is the last. I’m only 20 and I feel like I’m missing out on so much because of this. After two and a half years hopefully they find something to help yours too! 
  • Posted

Up your protein intake to give your body the fuel to heal! It helped me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.