First PIP application

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, 

Am really hoping for some advice here as I’m feeling totally freaked out. I applied for PIP 16th Jan, I have suffer from severe anxiety and ptsd. I sent the forms back and got a confirmation text 15th Feb, now have a F2F home visit ( I didn’t request home visit ) on Monday ( 5th March ). I’ve heard horror stories of F2F assessments so any advice greatly received. 

Also, my GP wrote a supportive letter for me explaining my conditions and how they effect me however the assessor has contacted my GP for more information which I hear is unusual. My GP is currently off sick so the surgery have passed the letter on to another GP who I probably haven’t seen in 2yrs and is not very understanding of mental health conditions , I’m worried that he doesn’t know me that well so wondered how much do GPs input have in the assessor making a decision?? 

Thanks in Advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately gps hold the key to assessments . You could ask for an adjournment until your own go us back ....that is only if you know when they are back ...otherwise you go and visit the Gp you will be seeing and explain your concerns ....question ..have you your own care or health worker or social worker ..if so ..maybe they could write a supportive letter ....you could contact the mental health charity mind and ask if they could be present when you have e your face to face to support you through your assessment and to also help your assessor ...
    • Posted

Hi Sean, 

l’ve contacted the GP who has taken on my GPs case loadand explained that I’m concerned he may not be able to give an accurate account of how my illness effects me. I do find it strange that they ask GPs for this type of information as it’s not like they live with us so can’t see how our ability to carry out Day to day activities are effected. My GP has never been round for dinner so can’t comment on whether I can prepare a meal???? 

I have. CBT councilor who I believe they may have contacted too but no other professionals involved in my care. It’s pretty much been, here have some more tablets and off you go type of treatment over the last 11years. 

• Posted

Hi frinsey ..may I ask ..what meds are you on ..how long have you been on them ...have you had a diagnosis from a shrink or your gp ....have you been able to talk directly to your gp this morning since we've messsged...what did they tell you .it's not unusual for your gp to be contacted again ..this will.no doubt be because some gps when writing a supportive letter use the words " he states his illness effects him xyz..or she says her illness stops her doing xyz.. unfortunately it's all about the wording ...if they are putting a letter together to say how your illness effects you .unless they say " this person has PTSD and their life is really effected by this in such a way .." then they will be contacted again ..

• Posted

I’ve been on meds for 10yrs, currently Sertraline 200mg, Pregabalin 300mg, Zopliclone 7.5mg and Diazepam 3x5mg as needed, take 5-10mg most days. My diagnosis is from GP however my most recent meds review was done by a psychiatrist who put me on the Pregabalin alongside Sertraline. Haven’t been able to speak to GP as they are understaffed due to the weather, receptionist said it will take up to 3 weeks for GP to be able to respond to letter anyway !! 

The original letter stated I had genuine medical symptoms that effect my daily life such as difficulties going out alone due to panic attacks, difficulties in new situations especially in speaking to new people and that I struggle at times to leave my house. There was not a lot of information about self care because as I’ve said my GP doesn’t live with me. He did say that he was fully supportive of my application and that financial support in his opinion would be right and appropriate in my case. 

• Posted

Hi,

You're still looking into this far too much and as i adviced before you need to try to relax, i know that's really hard but there's nothing you can do until after you've had the assessment and a decision's been made.

Like i said before it's rare for them to contact anyone for evidence but they CAN contact people. You will not be able to ask them adjourn your application unless you cancel this assessment and book another. If you cancel this one then you wont be able to cancel another.

It doesn't matter that you didn't request a home assessment, they have obviously decided to give you one based on the evidence they have. It doens't mean that you'll be awarded PIP though. People do get refused even with a home assessment.

The letter your GP wrote obviously wasn't enough and they needed more so they decided to contact him/her. It's not enough to say that you have geniune medical condtions and going out causes panic attacks. They need to know why you have panic attacks, why you have difficulties in speaking to people.

For the other descriptors that your GP "can't see" you have issues with then that's your job to gather evidence to prove the difficulties that you have are true. This can be a diary written by yourself, a letter from someone that knows you well, if you use aids around the home then some proof that you use them such as a letter from Occupational Therapist.

When searching on the internet most likely about 98% of what you read will be bad. This is because if someone claims PIP and has a decision they are happy with then they have no questions to ask, so they don't post anything and we don't hear their story.

You really do need to stop looking for questions, because it's really not helping your nerves or stress levels. This is the only other advice i can give you. Good luck with the assessment.

• Posted

Sorry .few spelling mistakes but hope you can read through the mistakes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.