First post, need a little advice please

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, well, where do i start...

I was dianosed with ME on Tuesday after months and months of feeling tired and achey.

I would say it mainly started over the last Christmas holiday when i had a very bad illness.

Every 2-3 months since, i have had a cold/flu in which the aches have got worse and i feel soooo tired.

Finally went to the docs on the 4th of this month, got a bloodtest same day in which after the nurse got 2 of 4 viles of blood(i was looking away wink ) she goes "oh! your vein has just collapsed, i'll have to wait a minute or 2 to try again", at first i was feeling ok, relaxed, then all of a sudden i came over all funny, said to the nurse, put my head by my knees than had to lie on the bed for just over 30 mins until i was well enough for to take the remander of blood.

She said it was because my body was in such i tired state.

I went back on tuesday for the results, all bloodtests checked out ok but then he said the swear word, ME.

Sorry for the long post..

The advice i need is that he is trying me on Sertraline (50mg), antidepresant drugs, even though i'm not depressed.

I am finding i am a lot worse on these and even more tired, not sleeping as good as i was before the drugs.

Should i stop taking them ? (i know it's not even quite a week yet)

The main thing i am worried about is driving, either to and from work but mainly that i drive a fork-lift there.

I know i'm not as bad as most of you on this forum.

I'm 30 years old so slong way to go.

The thing that annoys me the most is that i used to be very fit, cycling to and from work every day (10 miles there and back), being on my feet just about all day.

Now, i'm a bit frightened to cycle there now.

I'm still on my feet most of the day (9-5) exept 1hr lunch and a few tea breaks but not for too much longer i think.

Again sorry for long post, i'm really tired now just typing this all out but i thought i'd give as much info as i can and hope someone can give me some advice.

Upon looking up what ME/CFS all about, and finding that i have/had most of the symptoms, i am now resting as much as i can.

Thanks, James.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Teedie, thanks.

The doc didn't suggest anything but then when he said i had CFS, i wasn't too sure what it was, just thought it was just me being a bit tired and the pill he was giving me was to cure it.

But then i looked around the net and my heart sunk, finding out it can take quite some time to recover and even then not get rid of it fully.

When i go back, i'll ask, if i don't have to go back sooner.

To sort out the 'sensible one' matter, i am now it, i'm new so i have now claimed this role :shock:

I might just claim a sausage role instead wink

• Posted

You won't be sensible for long on here that's for sure James :lol:

Yes ur right, it is a bit of a shock being told you have CFS, sad I'm one of the many nurses on this forum and i thought the same as you that it would pass in a couple of weeks and i would be back at work. sad :?

m y symptoms started with flu like aches and pains for a few weeks and then my joints swelled up. I thought once the swelling went down i would have been cured sad but unfortunately the rest is history :roll:

I am not as tired as i was at the start but i do suffer joint and muscle pain. sad

Just out of curiosity, can you tolerate alcohol :?: It has been a discussion on here many times. Some can and some can't. sad

You should go back to your G.P sooner as if you carry on you will feel worse.

Good luck

Teedie

xx smile

• Posted

[quote:b3202cc04a]Just out of curiosity, can you tolerate alcohol [/quote:b3202cc04a]

Thats where i am sensible, i don't drink :D well i spill some of it :roll:

I don't drink or smoke.

I am going back to the GP in 3 weeks time anyway, unless it gets worse.

• Posted

You are welcome James.

Just one thought, have you told your employer of your diagnosis? I am thinking of the Health and Safety laws. If you were to have an accident or incident whilst driving the fork lift due to poor concentration and you had not told them, it could invalidate their Employers Liability Insurance and you wouldn't be covered.

It might be better to speak to your direct line manager to cover yourself.

• Posted

Hi again James.

I was diagnosed in April so am still coming to terms with it. :cry: I always thought it was something people used to claim benefits and not a "proper" illness :oops: How wrong was I??!! :lol:

Rest, rest then rest some more and you might get off lightly!!

Hope I am not depressing you :roll:

You seem to have the same sense of humour so that will help :?

This mad lot will support you and just for the record, none of us is sensible! :wink:

Dale xxx

• Posted

Hi alicia, i did tell them the same day i was diagnosed and also told them of the tablets i was given.

There are usally at least 3 of us that can drive it.

Dale, i am going to rest as much as i can.

I had never heard of it until the doc said it to me so it was rather a big shock when i got a chance to check out what it was sad

Thanks all for the support.

• Posted

Hi James

I am fairly new on the forum too & like yourself have only been recently diagnosed . I'm 30 too & had to give up work recently as had been off sick for months . sad

It is quite a shock when you are first diagnosed but after months of being ill i have learned that it can be detrimental to push yourself & try & carry on with a " normal life". I think i have finally learned that my health now comes before work , social life etc ( it was a hard lesson to learn ) but i am determined that i will get better eventually & when i do its gonna be carnage :lol: :P

My doc recently put me on Amitriptyline 10mg for muscle pain . I find that i am getting a much better sleep at night with these , although the muscle pain is still there most days .

I have found reading through the posts on this forum so helpful & they are such a good bunch of people on here , mad :devil: , but good ! :D

Soz for the long post but had a good few days & typing for how ever long it lasts !

Take Care & try to get plenty of rest .

xxx

• Posted

James, if you would like me to send you a copy ofthe Guide to ME for the Non Sufferer from the National ME Centre just PM me your e mail address and I will send it to you. :D

It is quite invaluable when it comes to trying to make people understand what you are dealing with because a lot of people don't know anything about ME at all. Even some doctors could do with reading it. :roll:

• Posted

Hi Lian, thanks. I will take as much rest as i can, already trying making my health more important than everything else.

One thing is as much as i would like to cycle again to work, i am forcing myself not to, which is very hard sad because i love it and soo used to it.

Hi Alicia, thanks. I think though now my boss knows, she had a shock when she went to the school to pick up her child, she spoke to a mum there about why she (the mum) wasn't cycling in this nice weather like she used to, the mum replied it's because she can't, she's got ME.

Once she told my boss about she felt and the kids had to help her out alot, i think my boss was rather shocked at to how bad ME can be and how long it can take to recover just a little bit.

I agree about the doctors need to read that guide, mine didn't tell me exactly what it involved :roll:

• Posted

Well James, I think you may find that you are lucky to have a female boss. smile

I am not being sexist but i think they are more understanding :oops:

Teedie

x

• Posted

Thanks.

She is a very good boss and very understanding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.