first psychiatrist appt next week

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have my first appointment with the psychiatrist in a week. I'm nervous as I don't know what to expect, and I'm not entirely sure WHY I actually have to see one. I started seeing my doctor regularly 9 months ago and since my meds have been switched and changed for anxiety and depression, which I am now taking venlafaxine 37.5mg twice daily, and occasionally Zopiclone and diazepam.

my doctor has basically told me there's nothing else she can help me with, and any concerns to let the psychiatrist know when I see him/her, although I think in the last two months my symptoms have changed majorly. before I was just depressed all the time, and now I'll sometimes be overconfident and somewhat hyperactive for several days. I am now also always irritable and easily angered, my sleeping will range from not sleeping at all (eg now) to sleeping for 12+ hours. there's no inbetween with anything, im either majorly high or majorly low.

any advice would be appreciated smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Danielle, if you're living in the UK you're actually quite lucky to have been referred to a psychiatrist!biggrin Most GPs just keep handing out the pills without any attempt to really help people like you.

The psychiatrist will help you get to the root of why you're having all these problems, so you can help yourself out of this state. That doesn't mean he/she will stop your meds, just that a two-pronged approach works best - medication and talking about your problem.

The psychiatrist isn't going to put you into a mental hospital - and certainly not if you're in the UK, where there aren't enough beds even for people who are severely mentally ill.

This is a good opportunity to get yourself on the road to understanding what's happening to you and overcoming your problems. I think you should seize it with both hands.

• Posted

You may be bi-polar
    • Posted

I have wondered this, although my family has no history of any mental illness, is it still possible?

Sorry, I know it may seem like a silly question, I just wasn't sure whether anybody could have it.

• Posted

Danielle, it's not a silly question, but you don't have to have a family history of mental illness to have a minor psychiatric problem yourself. Many of us suffer some kind of mental illness during our life, without there being any genetic component. I suspect you may have a slightly distorted view of what "mental illness" is. Lots of people do. They tend to think of mad aunts locked up in the attic for years on end or something like that!lol

In reality, most people diagnosed with psychiatric conditions are perfectly normal members of society (well - insofar as any of us is "normal") who are just going through a rather difficult period.

I don't think it's particularly helpful for non-professionals to suggest diagnoses, but I do think you could be helped by seeing a psychiatrist, even if it's only a couple of visits.

For the record, I suffered a severe depression myself in my early 20s, which included a suicide attempt. I came through it after a few years, once I'd understood myself better, and am still mentally robust now, at more than 70 years old.

The psychiatrist won't be able to wave a magic wand and make you better. You're going to have to do most of the work yourself, under his/her guidance, and it won't always be easy or painless. You've already taken the first step on your road to recovery. I wish you every success.

Lily

• Posted

I'm starting to doubt my own sanity now. This site has started inserting smileys where I didn't put any!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.