First PT after 8 weeks of ankle surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 35 male, I had ORIF surgery 8 weeks ago, and today I had the first PT, I explained to the PT that I am concerned that I am not improving since cast off in week 6, and he started asking me some weird things to do like walking with one crutch, I was in pain like hell, then he did some stretching exercises on my ankle (left/right and up/down) it was extremely painful as the ankle was stiffed. then he asked me to try walking without crutches and I could not agree with him to do this. because I was not believing I can even try! now I'm feeling lots of pain at the night and I can't sleep! (I'm using RICE). 

Is it possible to be not able to walk using one crutch only after 8 weeks?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

I think it comes down to your general physical health prior to the injury as well as the severity of the injury.

I had a Weber C Fracture on 17th Mar this year had ORIF surgery the following day with screws and plate along fibula and a syndemosis screw through the ankle. I’m now 8 weeks post-op and stopped using crutches after my 4th physio visit last Friday as found it easier to walk around with a limp and is definitely sore after a full day of walking but getting stronger every day after a good rest. My main goal at the moment is to continue building the strength in my ankle prior to surgery to remove the syndemosis screw on 20th June.

In any case I would let the pain be your guidance around what you physically can or can’t do and don’t rush the rehab as everyone heals at their own rate - In my experience (this is my second time rehabing my left ankle after rupturing my Achilles a few years back) PT shouldn’t be pressuring you to do anything that would be putting you in physical pain outside of testing your ankle mobility for progress.

Hopefully after a few more sessions of PT and you doing the exercises in your own time you start to experience some progress. 

Keep us updated and goodluck!

• Edited

You started out in a boot weight bearing first, right? You should still be in the boot,with gradual weight bearing with crutches, to full weight bearing with crutches, then one crutch, then none. At about 10 weeks, if X-rays show healed, your dr will take you out of the boot to walk now in shoes. The timeline is a little different for everybody, but starting out weight bearing in a boot is standard procedure.
    • Posted

I wasn't given a boot I came out of my cast and was told to weight bear as much as I could, my pt is really happy with my progress

• Posted

Hi I started using only one crutch after about 11 when I was out and about probably after about 9 I would sometime use one in the house. I'm now 15 weeks post op finished with one crutch a two weeks today and went back to my care job last week. I've swam a lot which has helped loads. I have a very small limp when I'm in my trainers but still very bad and slow bear footed. My pt said do what I can with regards to stretches, expect a little pain but not too push to extreme pain! Keep on top of the pain killers

• Posted

where you using Cam boot or regular shoes? I'm 9 weeks! i don't think i'll give up one crutch next week, or the after, did you feel pain in your week 9? when i put 50% wp i feel hell pain! how did you feel?explain the process plz. 

• Posted

Hi I started wearing trainers ta couple of days after my cast came off (6 weeks) wearing a good trainer makes a massive difference. I'm 42 and have always been active so couldn't wait to get back to normality. I started swimming as soon as my cast came off and within three weeks started the gym, I'm back in work now, still lots of pain but I like to keep going, I elevate at night x

• Posted

H I ,

sometimes after surgery , we lose our confidence a little and become scared to attempt what's being suggested.

I  broke a hip 4 years ago,( horse rider so have experienced  many broken bones ) and was advised the same  walk with one crutch.  after 6 weeks

Honestly if you feel unstable dont do it, but I found it easier having a friend at the non crutch side , she didnt  physically need to support me , but just knowing someone was there  was enough for my confidence.

After 10 mins  she sat down and I was managing to walk with  just one..

Speedy recovery !

• Edited

Kilany,

It sounds like you face a few challenges in your recovery. You didn't state where your bones broke, or how much tendon/ligament/nerve/muscle damage you sustained in your accident. That stuff makes a world of difference in recovery outcomes (although if your practitioner has assured you your bones healed well and your ankle joint is in alignment then bones not be an issue at this stage).

If your therapist is a competent pro they should be carefully respecting your pain tolerance and not try to fit you into a standard rehab mold and time frame. Your case may require tender loving care in therapy, so take it slow and steady as she goes.

That said, physiotherapy is going to be your key to the kingdom of returning to normal life activities. If you value your future mobility you will stop at nothing to get your ankle back.

• Posted

I'm almost 2 weeks after the cast off, but i am not feeling im getting better, the WP is not improving, I feel lots of pain when i push 50% WP! see the pic. 

• Posted

I am 8.5 weeks post surgery ORIF, 3 fractures and dislocation.  I have a plate and 11 screws.  My cast came off at 6.5 weeks and into a walking boot/air cast.  I am able to walk in the boot without crutches, and was told to go from NWB in cast, to FWB when they put the boot on, and could resume normal activity.  I am able to put weight on that leg without the boot but with the assistance of one crutch.  My ankle swells very bad daily and I elevate and ice each night after work.  I have not started any PT, as doc did not want any aggressive exercises right out of cast.  My ankle is almost immobile, I was given a band and list of exercises, but they are very painful.  I am curious if anyone can post how long it took to wear a normal shoe, walk a mile, etc.  I was very active prior to break, walking/running 5-7 miles a day.  I worry those are days past.  Any thoughts comments are welcome.
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post op from ankle surgery . I broke ankle in 3 spots and my fibula high up they said. I have plates n screws.I never put weight on it as directed for 6 weeks but after the third week when my splint came off it was too painful on my huge incisions to wear my heavy boot. I do wear the boot now, as long as I can take it and I can walk without help for a cpl hours . Then it's RICE the rest of the day. I just wonder if I healed correctly before walking. My surgeon, myself, and his nurse had a disagreement so I am apprehensive about going back. It's painful to walk but it's baby steps. Just glad to finally be mobile-ish .

• Posted

Yes. I depend on 2 crutches to walk. I am 8 weeks past surgery ORIF with 1 plate an screws. Doc said do as much as I could tolerate. I took my surgical foot and pressed a bathroom scale yo see how much pressure I could stand. It maxed out at 60 pounds. It seems overly agressive pt.

• Posted

Hi Kilanyworld

So sorry to hear about your pain. You dont say if you are doing ROM exercises at home on your own. I am assuming you are wearing a walking boot of some kind now so you should be able to remove it to do ROM and possibly more resistance exercises with a band or towel since you are in week 8. I am 3.5 weeks post orif for bimalleolar fracture and have a boot which i carefully remove to start on my toe pointing/flex and foot up/down, side/side exercises. I dont push it at all as i am NWB, so no resistance bands allowed etc, the exercises dont really hurt too much, they feel weird and stiff, but my ankle aches afterwards, so much so that I am taking pain killers again. It is disappointing to have to take pain killers again but I have been told that starting ROM is the most important thing atm. If you were in a cast you wouldn't have had the chance to ROM exercises so I think if you take some pain killers and spend time on that it might help. I am told that normal walking should be achieved somewhere between 3 and 4 months post break. I am some way behind you in the healing process so I dont have any more advice to give you but I really hope things improve soon for you. This is a fab website and I really appreciate the advice on here, hopefully you can use the advice from others to help and encourage your recovery. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.