First PT visit

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I spent an hour with my physio and here are my instructions:

Ice and elevate every 3 hours if possible and do ankle pumps while icing

Do 2 sets of ROM exercises 2 or 3 times a day.

She felt my ROM is not too bad considering, and that I could do FWB in the boot!  She indicated I would likely need the boot for a month but I should be walking without a walker within that time frame (may want a cane). Driving.... likely not for another 6  to 8 weeks.... that was the bad news.😥.

I still want to get back to work by mid October.  Will definitely have to coordinate rides to my offices or meeting locations, and will work as much as I can from home.  I am very fortunate to have a fabulous  boss and access to VPN on my laptop. 

So some good news and some disappointing news and lots of hard work ahead. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Zeldas, overall it’s a progress. You will get there 😊. Thanks for the PT tips

• Posted

It's all great news! I know it might not seem like it now but you're healing and making progress. Don't rush yourself! I was in a walking boot for 9 wks. Get yourself an even up. I didn't and wish I did! Good luck 🙏🏼🙏🏼💕

• Posted

Thanks Diane

I ordered last week so hopefully will get my even up today... I know it will help a lot!

• Posted

Got the even up and it helps. I was maybe a bit too enthusiastic in doing my PT  yesterday as my fot is red and swollen again....😣. Will be gentler Today! 

• Posted

Zelda,

You are definitely making good progress! I just knew you would have an easier (and that's a relative term, I know) time of it since you avoided surgery.

I assumed you meant to type that your therapist said PWB (partial weight bearing) instead of FWB in boot.

By now your ankle swelling and discoloration (if you had any of note) should be about gone. Don't worry about pain when you start walking in boot-- some discomfort may be inevitable but I have a hunch you will be spared anything really uncomfortable.

Good luck on your PT.

• Posted

Thanks kpower...

The physio said I could do FWB in the boot......but I am also still using a walker so I am probably only putting 50% .  Does that seem off to you?

You are quite correct in that I do not experience much pain or discomfort. The physio did  think my foot was still quite swollen and recommended icing very frequently (like every 3 - 4 hours).  The discoloration and swelling did seem better  most of yesterday, but at the end of  t he day it reverted back. It doesn't hurt though.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.