First real flare !!! Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I'm having my first real flare of proctitis which started almost 4 weeks ago I am having 2-3 watery bm a day with blood and stomach cramps on the centre of my lower stomach and blood and mucus without bm . I was using pentasa enemas but my nurse took me off them because she thought it could be an intolerance causing the symptoms . I was put on pred foam enemas once a day and symptoms eased a little and I was only having 1-2 watery bm first thing in the morning. I now have good days and bad days some days I can't have a bm at all but then the next day I go more and the cramps are worse.

I've had 2 lots of stool checked for infection which showed nothing. My nurse is now talking about oral steroids but I'm really not keen . Surely there's something else is try 1st ?? I'm in the uk by the way

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's the spirit!  Have a damn'd good celebration!  I will raise a glass of bubbly to your continued good health!!

Thank you for your extremely kind and generous words; they are greatly appreciated.

Happy 40th Birthday, Michelle!!

Peter A  

• Posted

Michelle, I have ulcerative proctitis and had my first flare-up two years ago after being in remission for decades while treating with Canasa suppositories. Possibly it's a coincidence, but shortly before the flare-up, I switched to Pentasa suppositories. I've never taken an enema, either Pentasa or other brand. While trying to treat the flare-up, I took the Pentasa suppositories every night, but my symptoms continued. I switched back to the Canasa (Salofalk in Canada) and started improving. My doctor also put me on oral mesalamine (Apriso, then Asacol). Now I'm back to my previous dose of 2-3 times weekly and I am doing much better and I'm not taking the oral meds. I really think that the Pentasa didn't work for me, but the Canasa does. I know that this doesn't relate to the enema product, but I thought you might want to know my experience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.