first rib and khyposis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I was wondering what type of doctor do I need to see if I have a first rib? Also, could the first rib cause khyposis. I think I have a first rib because I can feel a bone by the base of th neck trapping my neck muscles, causing them not to stretch.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would start out with a visit to your GP to explain your symptoms and request X-rays of the following: cervical spine (both AP and lateral views), chest (Lordotic view), shoulder. Before visitng your GP, you should do some research online to see if you can locate an accredited vascular ultrasound clinic that is familiar with the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome protocol. If you can find one, get a referral from your GP to help determine where the compression takes place.
    • Posted

What do I do? Just print out the vascular surgeons website and show it to the doctor when I get there? Also, does the doctor let you see the xrays?
  • Posted

The X-rays are your property. They belong to you. All tests and all results are the property of the patient and cannot be withheld by law. However, it is common practice for any radiology lab to forward the x-ray films onto the referring physician. But you can go to the lab/clinic that performed the X-rays and ask for a copy of your films (which they will put onto a CD-ROM for you...they may charge a minor fee and make you fill out a release form, but they have to give you the test and the report (if any). As for a surgeon, I'm afraid that you might have misunderstood me. I didn't say anything about a surgeon. Before worry about surgery, you should call an accredited vascular clinic in your area (one that does ultrasound and that understands the protocols for testing for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (or whatever TOS is known as in your country). Which bascially means that the clinic technician will do a colour doppler/duplex ultrasound test and check your fingertip pulse while you hold your body in different maneuvers) If you find an accreditied vascular clinic that is familiar with the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome protocol, all you need to do is call them or get on their website to find out how to make a refferal. They may need your GP to fill out their own requisition form (which is usually available for print on their website...or you may have to pick up the form in person and take it to your GP)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.