First rib resection post surgical pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with TOS about three months ago after years of going from doctor to doctor to figure out where the severe shoulder and neck pain was coming from. On May 3rd (almost 6 weeks ago) I had first rib resection on my right side, along with a scalenectomy and brachial plexus neurolysis. I am still taking percocets every four hours because the second they wear off I am in intense pain. The pain is both behind my scapula and goes into my arm pit, as well as the front side directly under and around the incision which is right above my collar bone. My question for people that have had this surgery, is this pain normal? It feels like my shoulder is getting ripped off of my body. Especially the scapula pain, it's enough to bring me to tears. I need to return to work within the next week and I'm completely dreading it. Any words of wisdom or similar experiences out there? I'm going crazy and I don't want to be on pain medication forever!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Missy ,

I just had a first rib resection on my right hand side due to TOS and getting a blood clot in my right arm i am dealing with lots of neck and shoulder pain ... did you also experience that and wondering how you are feeling now days since it's been a while since you had surgery ???

• Posted

Hi Reena! 

I definitely experienced that and to be honest, I still do.  My doctor believes it is now because of fibromyalgia.  I was set to do my left side in January but the pain on the right side is so significant that I feel as though I have to get that under control first.  How long ago did you have the surgery?  If TOS is your only condition, that should subside within 6 months to one year (per my surgeon).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.