First shingles attack

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm a 49 year old male and at the beginning of December this year I came down with shingles. The rash appeared on one side, areas effected were upper arm, shoulder and armpit and I hadn't noticed it until 4 days after the pain started. I've been controlling the pain with 1000mg paracetemol, 200mg ibuprofen and when the pain was bad codeine phosphate. Side effects were feeling cold, sweating on mild exertion, tiredness and just generally feeling unwell / uncomfortable.

With shingles is it possible there is a preamble where one feels unwell for weeks before the rash and pain appears e.g. feeling like you have a chest infection without the outward symptoms of a typical chest infection.

I also had had a UTI infection about 3 weeks previous to the shingles appearing so could this also be a symptom of shingles?

Rash has almost now gone after nearly 3 weeks and the pain seems to be subsiding but slowly. Is this normal for it to take so long for the pain to go and is it a gradual process? I guess I'm just worried I will be left with residual pain long term.

I'm normally fit and healthy but it seems my immune system has taken a bit of a battering and probably due to recent worry and stress.

Input would be appreciated.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear gwendapolly F41112 ~ You have described the standard shingles attack just about perfectly. I hesitate to have to tell you that my attacks usually last 60 days and some have been beyond 90 days.  If you can stay on the medications, you will be doing the best you can.  I had to let them go as they were affecting my thought processes and my dreams.  Having x-rays reveals nothing as there is no damage to bone or tissue.  I compared the blisters to third degree burns and the scars attest to that.  The numb places will always be numb ~ that will not go away.  I was told today that I must wait one year before I can take the vaccine so I only hope, after four shingles events, that I can be free until July, which would be the one year.  There does not seem to be a medication which will entirely cover the pain ~ we can only ask for a few hours of small relief and the comfort of other people in this forum who have been there ~ we send our sympathy.  Doctors are still learning about shingles and, of course, most of them have never had an attack so they often believe that we are exaggerating ~ or it is something else.  I send hopes for a day soon when you are completely recovered ~ it won't be speedy so that is no sense wishing that ~ Susan
  • Posted

Hi, I’m new to the site, and I’m experiencing my first bout of shingles. I can’t believe how sick I feel! Can anyone say how long before I will feel energy again?. I had chemo some years ago and the shingles is up there with it. I got a flu jab 2 weeks before this started, is there a connection there? Rash is still angry & red. What can I expect from here on?

• Posted

Hi fibby24096,

I just saw your message and realize this chat started about three years ago.  I am going through what I think is my first bout with shingles and am wondering how you did.  I've been in significant pain for about a week now, but it has subsitded a bit.  I can get around and do things with increasing energy levels, but only for a very limited amount of time.

Please let me know how your treatment and recovery has been and if you have any advise please let me know.

Thanks!

Patrick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.