First soak!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys

Had my first soak today and it felt really good. A little bit worried though. After about 15 mins of soaking I noticed a little bit of yellow oozing out of my left foot out of the stitches. After drying them and letting them air out for a while it seemed ok. Really hope its nothing. Anyway I did want to ask you guys something. I'm 13 days post op and I don't really wear the soft shoes given as I previously mentioned we have quite deep carpeting in our house and it's a bit difficult. But I'm fine just walking with plaster cast and sock. It doesn't really hurt. Do you think that's ok.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i was told not to soak foot more than 5 mins the first four week after having dressing removed. I had a big bandage on my foot for two weeks and am using a shoe that was provided for another 5/6 weeks which is ok in house.
  • Posted

Oooh...  soaking it must have felt so good! 

Hard to know when we've all had different procedures...  I'm 7 weeks post-op but was told no baths/swimming/soaking for another 6 weeks and could only shower after I had my pin out at 6 weeks (couldn't get it wet at all until then). 

I noticed after the first shower that I had a bit of oozing too - wasn't sure if it was getting infected so I put some Polysporin on it and covered it over night.  The next shower, it stung a bit with a bit more oozing.  More Polysporin and covering over night made a big difference.  It's now starting to heal better.  I was surprised the incision wasn't healed better after 6 weeks but this is all new to me and the surgeon didn't seem concerned at the 6 week visit.

Maybe you could give your surgeon a call to see if it needs to be looked at...?  Good luck :-)

• Posted

I dont know about the sock thing, but if I had a wound with a discharge I would bath the foot in salt water every two hours to prevent/cure possible infection.

• Posted

Thanks for you advice everybody. Couldn't wait to take sock off today to see how it wos doing. Thank god it wos looking okay. Hubby said to leave them open for a while and it felt good. They were very dry and skin around the stitches all tight so just lightly massaged olive oil around everywhere. How often should I be soaking them?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.